Welsummer or Speckled Sussex?

cdombro76

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2023
Hi All - I ordered 4 chicks (Easter Egger, Barred Rock, Welsummer and Speckled Sussex) and the hatchery sent me 6 with 2 WS and 2 SS. Fingers crossed for all hens but we'll see on that in a few more weeks. It doesn't super matter but wondering if you can help me ID which chicks are which. The EE and BR are easy lol

L-R at my hand are (I think) Welsummer, Easter Egger, Barred Rock, Speckled Sussex. Then another WS under the brooder, and another SS at the feed. Thoughts?

I'm a first time chicken mom and excited for my babies to grow up!! Approx 2 weeks old.

chicks.jpg

8DB4E186-AC25-4324-BCB0-400750D63FD4.jpeg

Red-Speckled Sussex
Purple- Easter Eggers
Blue-Barred Rock

I need better pictures of other two but I think you have another Easter Egger had feeder and a Welsummer under brooder. I suspect they just sent two extra Easter Eggers :)

The one on the right and the one at the feeder are basically twins when they are next to each other except one has sllliiiiightly longer tail feathers now. I'll be happy no matter what but am dying to know who is who lol and dyyying to know what the EErs will look like :D

Hi All - I ordered 4 chicks (Easter Egger, Barred Rock, Welsummer and Speckled Sussex) and the hatchery sent me 6 with 2 WS and 2 SS. Fingers crossed for all hens but we'll see on that in a few more weeks. It doesn't super matter but wondering if you can help me ID which chicks are which. The EE and BR are easy lol

L-R at my hand are (I think) Welsummer, Easter Egger, Barred Rock, Speckled Sussex. Then another WS under the brooder, and another SS at the feed. Thoughts?
Speckled Sussex are supposed to have white feet.
Welsummers are supposed to have yellow feet.
Both of those have single combs.
They do not have muffs & beard (puffy faces that turn into extra feathers beside & under the beak.)

Easter Eggers can have any foot color, and any comb type, but green feet and pea combs are pretty common. They can have beards or no beards. Any chick with green feet, or a pea comb, or a beard should be an Easter Egger.

Speckled Sussex are supposed to have white feet.
Welsummers are supposed to have yellow feet.
Both of those have single combs.
They do not have muffs & beard (puffy faces that turn into extra feathers beside & under the beak.)

Easter Eggers can have any foot color, and any comb type, but green feet and pea combs are pretty common. They can have beards or no beards. Any chick with green feet, or a pea comb, or a beard should be an Easter Egger.
Thank you -- this is super helpful. Its been a week and change now and they have super changed ! Teh ones I thought were Welsummer are for sure EEers and my speckled sussex is very obvious. White feet/legs and a white chest. The one I now think is Welsummer has yellow feet/legs and is slow to develop its tail ... hoping its just part of their development and not a clear indicator of being a boy!

If you could get individual close ups with the front showing, it would be much easier to tell! 😊 Congratulations on your new biddies!

Back
Top Bottom