Welsummer or SS

fishin_dad

Songster
Feb 28, 2020
Sumter, South Carolina
Had some eggs from a BLRW crossed with welsummer and a Speckled Sussex. Could
20200607_183341.jpg
anyone help out identifying which hen this one came from

It's easiest to tell the sex of Welsummers at 1 day old (fluffy and dry).
When the feathers start coming in they look very similar for a couple of weeks.
Females should have solid eye liner and a dark clearly defined diamond on their heads. The males have broken/less defined eyeliner and a lighter diamond. After that at about 3 weeks old if you have males and females you will see noticeably more development in the comb of the males. All in all compared to some other breeds, they're easy.

It's easiest to tell the sex of Welsummers at 1 day old (fluffy and dry).
When the feathers start coming in they look very similar for a couple of weeks.
Females should have solid eye liner and a dark clearly defined diamond on their heads. The males have broken/less defined eyeliner and a lighter diamond. After that at about 3 weeks old if you have males and females you will see noticeably more development in the comb of the males. All in all compared to some other breeds, they're easy.
This one was crossed with BLRW and inherited the rose comb but the eye liner has remained the same since day 1. It was not positioned correctly and I had to assist this one. It was hard to see the arrow due to sticky fuzz from the poo and mess inside the egg. Didn't want to wet it too much when I cleaned it.

I'd say it's Welsummer, but as for sex! Not sure. You see how at the back of the eye the liner is broken? In a pure Welsummer at 1 day old it would indicate male, but at this age and a cross breed it's just not clear.

Back
Top Bottom