Welsummer "pullet"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LivingCanvas, Apr 29, 2016.

1. LivingCanvas

LivingCanvas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2016
    Glen Carbon, IL
    Hey folks! I bought this baby on 4/18 & it was sold as a Welsummer pullet. However, it doesn't have the eyeliner that the ladies normally do. But I've also seen various posts about how there are exceptions to that rule.

So whatcha think? Is Churches a fella?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    First two photos are from when I first got it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The last 3 were from this morning. Definitely a lot more feather around its neck.

*fingers crossed for pullet...* [​IMG]

2. chicken4prez

chicken4prez Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2015
    Trusting God
    I had a three month old hen that looked EXACTLY like your chick. Sadly, She got lost one night:(
    To me I'm leaning to a pullet, But I'm not the world champion at sexing chicks though.

3. LivingCanvas

Apr 12, 2016
    Glen Carbon, IL

Woo! There's hope! I've ended up with a more than enough roos (even though they were sexed as pullets) so I'll hold out hope. [​IMG]

4. Angie8eggs

Angie8eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2012
    I am saying pullet too.

5. LivingCanvas

Apr 12, 2016
    Glen Carbon, IL

Awesome!

Now, I need to post my Buff Brahmas. I know nothing about them but I got two that were supposedly Salmons. They're jerks though. [​IMG]

6. Angie8eggs

Apr 17, 2012
    Are you saying the Buff Brahma's are jerks!? If you are, that's hilarious! I have two, and they are the prettiest things, but won't let me get near them at all!!! [​IMG] They are the rudest fowl friends! ;)

7. LivingCanvas

Apr 12, 2016
    Glen Carbon, IL

Yep, I got them at the same time as the Welsummer & they don't like me coming anywhere near them. You'd think I was coming after this like they're going to be tonight's main course! Lol

I've read that they are slow to mature so I'm at a loss trying to figure out if they're actually pullets or if they're fellas. There's like no tail feathers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^when I first got them on 4/11

[​IMG]
    ^this morning

8. Angie8eggs

Apr 17, 2012
    I
    Yep, I got them at the same time as the Welsummer & they don't like me coming anywhere near them. You'd think I was coming after this like they're going to be tonight's main course! Lol

I've read that they are slow to mature so I'm at a loss trying to figure out if they're actually pullets or if they're fellas. There's like no tail feathers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^when I first got them on 4/11

[​IMG]
    ^this morning[/
    I want to say the top one on the last pic could be a pullet, the bottom one I am unsure about. They are the skittish little things! One of my two is HUGE! I wish I had pics of her and the other side by side. She is like the size of two footballs! [​IMG]

9. LivingCanvas

Apr 12, 2016
    Glen Carbon, IL
    I

I know it varies per breed but do you know if there's any significance with their wing feathers being point, as opposed to rounded?

10. Angie8eggs

Apr 17, 2012
    LivingCanvas (by the way, I love your screen name!) here are pics of one of my hens..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I know it's not a chick pic, but if I remember correctly, they were always roundish. I wish I could get my hands on a rooster for you to better compare :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by