Welsummer, Speckled Sussex, or maybe Dark Cornish?

jenjan8998

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 6, 2014

I got two of these beautiful little girls from Murray McMurray. I am having the hardest time figuring out what they are! I have narrowed it down to Welsummer, Speckled Sussex, or Cornish. However, I know that I have two Pioneers, cause they are so much bigger then all my others, so I dont think these would be Cornish, since these two are on the smaller side of the group. Any thoughts? Their feet are yellow by the way!

What type of comb does it have? It doesn't look like a Cornish to me, and is rather lightly marked for both a Welsummer or SS.

I'm thinking that they are Welsummers. What comb type do they have? (single= small spikes, pea= mostly flat, slightly raised). They don't quite look like Welsummers, as they are a little light and the eye stripe doesn't look quite right.

Last edited:
It looks more like a pea comb. I tried to take a picture, but neither will sit still enough. Very confusing little babies!

UPDATE!! I was able to get comb pictures. Also, upon closer look, I have two different chicks. They are defiantly not the same breed. So, new pictures of each one! Now tell me what you think!

Chick A. Smaller then all the others in the whole batch. This is the one I showed originally. Her wing feathers seem to be more brown. I am new at trying to determine combs, but looks pea to me. Hopefully it is single. It has little ridges, they just do not stand up as much as some other chicks I have. But again, she is smaller then them as well.

Chick B. Looks so similar to chick a. However, her wings are more silver maybe. If that is the right color. Also, looks like her comb is a rose comb. She is also smaller then the rest of the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom