Went to get my pullets(41/2-5mo old) fresh water and saw this:

If it is a rooster it isn't crowing. I told my husband I thought it was a rooster and he disagrees. Because this one and another one look the same and the other 2 don't have the wattles. I was told these 4 are Welsummers(spelling?)🤷‍♀️
It is a male Welsummer.
It is too young to crow.
But it has a male-specific color.

Just now I went to get my pullets some fresh water and saw that she had not opened her eye. On further inspection, her eye seems to be sealed shut. I don't know if it's from injury or if she got something in there. But I really don't know what to do or if there's anything I can do for her. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. They're approx. 41/2-5mo. old, all hens and I'm not sure how long she's been like this. But I do look at them every day and try to inspect them as much as I can. But I don't necessarily see every part of them every day. View attachment 2404344
Hi! Would’ve responded sooner, but just joined 😊

We JUST had this happen to one of our hens and I can tell you what worked for us! Took a week, but she is well. We have no vet available to help with chicken issues.

Henny, our black star, had both eyes completely sealed shut and respiratory symptoms including runny nose and gurgle/rattly breathing.

We isolated her to a crate in our garage and 3a day:
-applied warm compresses to her eyes
-Colloidal silver drops (10ppm) to each eye
-VetRx with a Q-tip to the roof of her mouth, her nostrils, and under her wings
-Colloidal Silver (500ppm) orally

The first 3 days, she was unable to see, so we gave her water and Gatorade by dropper.

We put Rooster Booster, a few drops of colloidal silver and VetRx in her water and included mealworms and black sunflower seeds with her feed once she had an eye open to find her food.

It was a lot of effort, but I’m thankful to say she has reintegrated since and seems well. Wishing you success!

Back
Top Bottom