We're almost done !!!

rehdancer

Songster
Apr 2, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
I think the only thing we have left is some touch-up painting (my job), but here's the coop !!! DH actually said it was sort of fun building this - but he only said it once.........
Front Door.JPG
The window slides up to let in breeze. You'll see vents on every wall except the north one where the shed is. Most of the lumber (and the front door window) is from an old outhouse on our property that DH deconstructed (usually my job) or what we already had on hand . The ramp is one built several years ago for our GP/Leo dog to get in to the truck.
Cleanout Doors.JPG The window above is hardware cloth and we just added a plexiglass piece on the outside for cold weather which opens with a magnet. There is a vent which closes just above the cleanout door on the left. This is on the west side.
Roosts.JPG The roost frame is on hinges, so they can be raised for cleaning. I've not yet found a solution to keep me from banging my head on the supports tho'.......
Nest Boxes.JPG The nests are 5-gal buckets cut in half - easy to remove, easy to clean. We have also put hooks and chains on the underside of these boxes to hang food/water. Stays dry and less waste.

Shed for tools-feed.JPG Shed on the north side for feed and garden tools. Not big enough for a wheelbarrow, but extremely handy for lots of stuff. Girls have already inspected and pooped in it, so I guess it's initiated !!

I think the only thing we have left is some touch-up painting (my job), but here's the coop !!! DH actually said it was sort of fun building this - but he only said it once.........
View attachment 1896061
The window slides up to let in breeze. You'll see vents on every wall except the north one where the shed is. Most of the lumber (and the front door window) is from an old outhouse on our property that DH deconstructed (usually my job) or what we already had on hand . The ramp is one built several years ago for our GP/Leo dog to get in to the truck.
View attachment 1896059 The window above is hardware cloth and we just added a plexiglass piece on the outside for cold weather which opens with a magnet. There is a vent which closes just above the cleanout door on the left. This is on the west side.
View attachment 1896073 The roost frame is on hinges, so they can be raised for cleaning. I've not yet found a solution to keep me from banging my head on the supports tho'.......
View attachment 1896079 The nests are 5-gal buckets cut in half - easy to remove, easy to clean. We have also put hooks and chains on the underside of these boxes to hang food/water. Stays dry and less waste.

View attachment 1896105 Shed on the north side for feed and garden tools. Not big enough for a wheelbarrow, but extremely handy for lots of stuff. Girls have already inspected and pooped in it, so I guess it's initiated !!
Looking great! The chickens will love it!

Was that near the beginning of the build, or near the end? :D
Will you and he be building a run too?
Hmm, that would be important to know......... :) I think it was when we put the chickens in, when it was "in the dry" (done enough occupancy) but before he was done. The girls got very busy supervising his work. Yup, we had a lot of laughs doing this !!!

No plans to build a run, but a good question - I wonder what the advantages would be for our situation, given we have a very large area for their range?
Well, in the middle of winter when there's a few feet of snow on the ground and/or a blizzard is howling across the yard, they are not likely to want to go out of the coop.
A covered run with wind blocked walls can be a life saver during Chicken Cabin Fever times.

Hopefully you have plenty of space in coop for the number of birds you have,
and good winter ventilation.

Well, in the middle of winter when there's a few feet of snow on the ground and/or a blizzard is howling across the yard, they are not likely to want to go out of the coop.
A covered run with wind blocked walls can be a life saver during Chicken Cabin Fever times.

Hopefully you have plenty of space in coop for the number of birds you have,
and good winter ventilation.
Excellent point - yes, we figured space for 12 birds but wound up with 8, so we're good for inside. We plan to enclose under the coop for winter with screwed on panels. They use it now for when it rains. And we have vents low and/or high on 3 walls, some of which can be closed. Thanks for your suggestions !!

Excellent point - yes, we figured space for 12 birds but wound up with 8, so we're good for inside. We plan to enclose under the coop for winter with screwed on panels. They use it now for when it rains. And we have vents low and/or high on 3 walls, some of which can be closed. Thanks for your suggestions !!
How big is the coop, in feet by feet?
You do need some vents up high that can be left open 24/7/365.

Back
Top Bottom