1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

were can i get hatching eggs???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lexinpatch, Dec 15, 2010.

1. lexinpatch

lexinpatch Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2010
    HI, i would like to know were to get hatching eggs in the oakland/berkeley part of the SF Bay Area. i really want to get to see and take care of baby chickies from the time they hatch but i have a budget and i dont know were i could get some fertil eggs w/out paying for shipping! i heard that people have hatched chicks from Trader Joes fertil eggs but i have no idea if this was a one time thing or if there is a good hatch percentage.
    -thanks

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    You could post an ad in your local Craigslist farm and garden section. Also yahoo groups has a California chickens group. Sign up and ask there if anyone local has some.

3. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    Check the Craigs list ads in Sacramento for "fertile eggs" or just "eggs". I've seen them recently in Davis. Sometimes in Vacaville.
    It would be about and hour or two from you but I'll bet you find some worth the drive.
    Do you already have an incubator?

4. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:My kids had one of the early TJ egg hatching projects posted on BYC 2 years ago and we did a science project with it. Part of the science project involved counting the fertile dots on the grocery store eggs. Most of the Trader Joes cartons we opened had about a 75% fertile rate, if I remember correctly. My 8 year old daughter made our home made incubator, so our hatch rates weren't as good as they probably could be. Since then, other folks have had better hatch rates than we did.

Here is a link to the science project

And here is a link to whole lot of other folks success with hatching grocery store eggs including Trader Joes fertile eggs.

One place I found around here that has fertile eggs, after our project two years age, was the local city college Ag department. They have an exemption to keep roosters. They said they would be happy to give us some eggs if we want some. Lots of high schools have Agricultural departments that can keep roosters in the cities.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by