We're getting our flock tested tomorrow for our NPIP Cert. !!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I'm so pumped...and it was sooo easy...and free!! Now I'll feel better about shipping eggs and birds.

2. Jashdon

Jashdon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    What exactly is that, the NPIP certification?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's the National Poultry Improvement Plan, a govt program where your birds are tested once a year, I believe, for Pullorum and Typhoid and sometimes Avian Influenza. You cant buy birds from non-NPIP sources, I think, and other rules. It gives a buyer some sense of security when purchasing your birds/eggs, but there are so, so many other diseases and if someone just doesn't want to follow the rules, they are rendered meaningless. One case in point is an NPIP breeder in Washington State who has been responsible for spreading a terrible disease, ILT. The state doesn't seem to care enough to do anything about it, last I heard. I may one day do it, if people seem to want that, but for now, I dont see that much need for it unless you show your birds or have a big business. That's just my take on it. I'm sure others think it's quite beneficial and in some ways, it probably is.
    Gator, I hope all goes well with yours.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  4. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

Im curious to what the "specs" are for NPIP...What actually must be done to have a "safe environment" to get your NPIP certification.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'd like to hear that as well.

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Me, too! I'm planning on getting mine done sooner than later! Especially with some harsher rules/sanctions that may be coming down due to carelessness of some individuals.

7. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Is Kelley the one coming out to do yours? She did mine several months back. She is such a nice person to meet. congrats!

8. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

What does the test consist of & who do you contact?

9. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    The program is administered by the state ag departments. The inspector comes out, blood-tests your flock, eye-balls your set-up, and signs the paperwork. Each state seems to have its own version and requirements for the program.

[​IMG]

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Here they do the swab test for AI and Newcastle. I'll be doing the blood test for pullorum, etc, in the Winter when all of my birds are at least 16 weeks old. [​IMG] Then I can get my certificate... [​IMG]
    Congrats, Gator!!!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by