1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We're So Sad!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Buff25, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Buff25

Buff25 New Egg

Feb 7, 2009
    Texas
    Well our first chick died early this morning. She never made it our of her shell. The hole was about the size of a nickel, but she never came completely out. We were so hopeful because she was so active....moving around and chirping like crazy. We have another trying to break through right now, so I'm going to call the hatchery and see what they suggest we do for this next one.

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    So sorry. We just don't know why some don't make it out. I had a huge RIR egg and the chick pipped and zipped the entire egg, then died before it could hatch. I've never forgotten that one...

Could be something was wrong with the chick...could be it wasn't in the correct hatching position.

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Usually they will make a small hole, no where near the size of a nickle, than wait for a while and then start to zip around. In my experience, if they start enlarging that hole too much, they are struck and can't turn. Because if they can turn, they start around the egg instead of making the same whole bigger.

4. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry.

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Unfortunately the little buggers don't get to read the book on how to hatch right and some just mess it up. I'm sorry you lost the little one, but it happens. I hope the next one has better success.

Right now I'm doing serama eggs and I am told not only do they NOT read the how to hatch book - they often just flat refuse to. So this should be an adventure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by