West Tennessee Thread

Hi everyone. New to this. Got our 2 ducks in this morning No one wanted them two Rouens, not sure if they are male or female. My order of Speckled sussex didn't come in so we will have to wait until next month but in the mean time we got two barred rocks. Blessed to add to our home with our egg layers and webbed friends.

Hi everyone.  New to this.  Got our 2 ducks in this morning No one wanted them two Rouens, not sure if they are male or female.  My order of Speckled sussex didn't come in so we will have to wait until next month but in the mean time we got two barred rocks.  Blessed to add to our home with our egg layers and webbed friends.  

Welcome! :cd

Sounds like you're going to have a nice flock. I wish I could have ducks too. A few people have wanted to trade ducklings for my chicks, but hubby is against the idea. We have an inground pool and he thinks ducks will want to spend their time in it instead of a kiddie pool:(

I'm just finishing up my bag of Purina Layena with Omega 3 I got from TSC. Anyone else have experience with this feed? They seem to like it fine and I have to give the eggs a good whack to crack them. Beautiful yolks so bright they almost look like apricot halves. We're all so blessed!

I use TSC's Dumor layer feed and my chickens like it. Their eggs are so tasty that we have friends who will drive 80 min round trip to snag some from us. The yolks are bright orange too. It's either this feed or the free ranging that's helping the gals produce such delicious eggs.

Changed our minds. now have a flock of 9 (was 10 but I lost fannie may dont know how or why but she was dead one afternoon) Bard rocks and the two ducks are getting huge. Fingers crossed the weather stays warm, they go out for a few hours into the coop then back in by 4pm when the temps begin to drop. The baby bard rocks we got a month after the first two are beginning ro roost on the edges of brooding buckets we keep them in.

Hi West Tennessee Folk.
I've been keeping chickens in Tipton County for about 10 years. My first folk was RIR's. I called them Benny and the Jets Lol.
Since they all have gone to chicken heaven, I've started another flock. Big time!
I have RIR's, Barred Rocks and Silver Laced Wynadottes.
I'm currently searching for a SLW cockrel. A neighbors dogs mortally injured mine.
Looking forward to hearing from y'all!!

Hi West Tennessee Folk.
I've been keeping chickens in Tipton County for about 10 years. My first folk was RIR's. I called them Benny and the Jets Lol.
Since they all have gone to chicken heaven, I've started another flock. Big time!
I'm currently searching for a SLW cockrel. A neighbors dogs mortally injured mine.

Welcome to the thread! Congrats on returning to keeping chickens and good luck on getting a nice SLW roo. Have you been on the Wyandotte thread? I seem to recall someone was needing to get rid of some young'uns.

I have not been to that tread yet, but I will visit it.
Thanks catandherchicks
1f600.png

Hi West Tennessee Folk.

Welcome back to chickens, I hope you find the breed you are looking for. Benny and the jets is a great name. I love hearing what ever one names their chickens if they name them. I have names two but I don't remember which is which because all my BR girls look a like. They started laying a week a go, we get about 3 a day right now. Any advice for a newbie this is my first flock (9 BR girls and 2 rouens Gerald and Nora)

Hi MommaShades13 !!

I know you will thoroughly enjoy your chickens, as I do.
The best advise I can give, is to spend as much time as you can with them.
It helps to keep them gentle. And, try to keep them safe from predators.
This is a very good blog for chicken tips and helps, so stay connected.
Good Luck !! and have fun :)
Miranda

I love having my birds we live in South Madison county, 1 mile from the city limits of Jackson. We got to watch one of my hens lay an egg (me my 5 yr old and 7 yr old) we go out and tend to them every day . I really enjoy my birds but I won't ever brood them in my house again lol

-Heather

Back
Top Bottom