Bird_Lover_17

Birds are life
Apr 9, 2020
USA
Hello! Yes, it's me again, here in the other pets & livestock section picking your brain on horses! If you click on this link, you will get to see my thread when I was thinking about horses. I have been watching a lot of youtube videos on Enlgish and Western riding. As a child, I remember enjoying western more (when I went horseback riding). Anyways, back to the youtube part. I think (for my personality and general lifestyle) I would like western!

keep in mind: I'm not jumping the gun, I just want info since I'm doing research.

Other things:
-I tried posting this on BYH but it claimed that I didn't have permission to make a thread- ok....
-I know that western traditionally has no helmet, but trust me, I WILL WEAR A HELMET NO MATTER WHAT

Main Questions:
Outfits for show riding
general showing
tips for trail riding
finding a good trainer
finding good tack
anything else!

So I’m not very good with the shows and stuff. But if I was you I would try to find a feed store that will let you try the saddle out for a day. Then you will know if you and your horse like it. Make sure you also know your size. I ride western and use a helmet.
To know if somebody is a good trainer is to see how well they treat their horse and how well they ride. Also if they let you do whatever with the horse means they are not a good trainer. It’s best to ask around.

So I’m not very good with the shows and stuff. But if I was you I would try to find a feed store that will let you try the saddle out for a day. Then you will know if you and your horse like it. Make sure you also know your size. I ride western and use a helmet.
To know if somebody is a good trainer is to see how well they treat their horse and how well they ride. Also if they let you do whatever with the horse means they are not a good trainer. It’s best to ask around.
Thanks!

Western riding is a very popular pastime in regards to horse riding. You should have no problem finding a local western stable. They will definitely be able to point you in the right direction and be able to answer your questions. :thumbsup

If you are interested in showing in the western discipline, you need to first find someone to mentor or train you.

Go to a few local open shows. Watch all of the western classes. Make a decision as to which classes interest you the most.

Talk to people that you see competing in those classes. Let them know you're interested. Odds are that they can point you in the right direction to get started.

Show outfits depend solely on the discipline you show under. A WP outfit is infinitely more elaborate and expensive than a Ranch outfit.

As far as finding a good trainer, going to local open shows is a good way to find local trainers.

If you are interested in showing in the western discipline, you need to first find someone to mentor or train you.

Go to a few local open shows. Watch all of the western classes. Make a decision as to which classes interest you the most.

Talk to people that you see competing in those classes. Let them know you're interested. Odds are that they can point you in the right direction to get started.
A lot will also depend on the disposition and physical abilities of your horse. Some horses don't have the disposition to be in pleasure classes, but do very well in trail and other disciplines. Let a mentor guide you as well on what your horse can do.

A lot will also depend on the disposition and physical abilities of your horse. Some horses don't have the disposition to be in pleasure classes, but do very well in trail and other disciplines. Let a mentor guide you as well on what your horse can do.
Good point.

A pleasure horse isn't going to do well at speed events and vice versa. If you have your own horse, you may have to try a few things to see what he/she is good at.

I don't own a horse or show, but I have been riding western for a while! I really love it. Going to shows is one way to find a trainer as others said, but it's also a good idea to look around at barns that are near where you live. If they don't have a website or social media site to say what they do, it never hurts to call. Also, it's always a good idea to make a visit before booking any lessons with a trainer so you can see their facility and horses and ask more detailed questions; both to see how they treat their horses and if they are good at giving lessons, and also to decide if what they do fits you.

I think what Jadefarms said is also really great advice: if the trainer lets you do anything with the horse, or lets you do more advanced things like cantering, jumping, or complicated patterns or events nearly right away, you probably want to stay away from someone like that. A proper, slow, steady start is the way to go!

I'm curious, what kind of trail riding do you mean? Trail courses or just general trail rides? I love both lol, although I've only ever dabbled in trail course stuff.

Back
Top Bottom