Wet and Dry Fowl Pox - Graphic Pictures of Pus and Scabs

Pics
Thank you campingshaws!! I just can't picture her normal again . I wonder if she will be blind :-( . For the other posted question in in Wildomar California and heard outbreak here to from local breeders as well.

Great site, so glad I found this! Very informative! I've come to the conclusion that my chicks have dry pox. One has it covering her face, one eye completely closed with a black scab. She won't let me pick the scab off. She is appearing to be getting better. I am applying terramycin to her eyes, polysporin to her comb, and terramycin to all in water supply. My question is, should I quarantine the worst or should I just group treat as I have been? Two of the other chicks look worse today, but still getting along well, with clear, alert eyes. Also, if all my chicks get through this, should I vaccinate? I do not believe they were vaccinated, but not sure of this. Thanks so much!

Ok I am no pro :) and I'm sure the experts will give better advice . My understanding is only vaccinate healthy birds once they've gotten the strand they will be immune to the strand of the dry poxI would send separate from any that still look healthy but that's just my own opinion and then of course the one who has of her eyes as they get worse and maybe can't see I would isolate so they get there food and water and don't get pecked . :)

Thanks for the advice. I called a university vet and she gave me assurance that I was doing the right things and to keep that same course of treatment. I'm still so scared for my chicks. I can't wait for this to be over.
1f625.png

I was finally able to scrape the scabs off, clean out cheesy pus stuff but unsure if either eyes are still there or functioning. She went through so much I'm letting her be tonight I will check and post pics tomorrow. She's still eating great and has gained weight

I wasn't sure if my young rooster still had an eye under there, but the bumps have disappeared and he has an eye! It looks normal, and he can now see out of both eyes again. The three pullets that had bumps are all almost recovered now too. I think we were lucky to have fairly mild cases, I never had to pull any scabs off. Just put iodine on them, flushed the gook out of the one bad eye, and put Neosporin on it when it was all closed. Good luck with yours. I'm still wondering if this year is normal, as a lot of people seem to be reporting pox.

Back
Top Bottom