Wet and Dry Fowl Pox - Graphic Pictures of Pus and Scabs

Pics
Posting this question in 2 threads...hoping an expert will find it
smile.png

Somewhere on this thread perhaps I read to wait 3 months after the dry pox works its way through the flock. I was hoping to get some more chicks in a few weeks....around 4 weeks after the last outbreak.
(the new infections are really mild so over in a few days...thank fully)

Posting this question in 2 threads...hoping an expert will find it
smile.png

Somewhere on this thread perhaps I read to wait 3 months after the dry pox works its way through the flock. I was hoping to get some more chicks in a few weeks....around 4 weeks after the last outbreak.
(the new infections are really mild so over in a few days...thank fully)
it would be better to wait. I didn't and 2 of the chicks died and the other one had poor health and lived 1 year only.

it would be better to wait. I didn't and 2 of the chicks died and the other one had poor health and lived 1 year only.

Thanks, so 3 months it is.

A major disappointment as it's summer & perfect for me to double my flock size without running heat lamps, setting up winter brooders etc and then be set for a good sized egg and meat flock that might be able to 'pay' for itself in 6+ months.

Thanks, so 3 months it is.

A major disappointment as it's summer & perfect for me to double my flock size without running heat lamps, setting up winter brooders etc and then be set for a good sized egg and meat flock that might be able to 'pay' for itself in 6+ months.  

The only other thing you could do is keep them IN THE HOUSE far away from the outside birds. That also works

The only other thing you could do is keep them IN THE HOUSE far away from the outside birds. That also works
You gave me an idea
smile.png

In my house is not practical for more than 1 or 2 emergency care chicks as my bathroom is tiny and my indoor dog is not a chicken amigo.....however!!!! I can kick the donkey's out of their mini barn that is a couple of acres away from the entire flock. That would make a lovely brooder with a few adjustments to prevent other dogs getting in and I'd just have to keep food, my clothing, etc isolated to not become the pox carrier.

On a sad note it has now spread to my mama hen that I separated in the hope her little chicks would be OK. Lost one chick to a predator and saw another with the pox and only half of one eye open.... since they are in an open paddock of a couple of acres with open hut, catching the little one will be difficult until its weak, and mama was mad at me for trying tonight, but she is now desperate for food from me so was pacing at the gate waiting for me tonight, usually the food I bring is wasted and she stays clear of me. So, many of my new babies evidently will not grow or survive into healthy adults.

However, I'll try the donkey barn end Feb or beginning March.....awesome, it can fit 15-20 chicks for 2.5 months easily then I should be clear to mix them into pens near the main flock in May when the horrid mozzies are gone and they are good to go for winter.
wee.gif

You gave me an idea
smile.png

In my house is not practical for more than 1 or 2 emergency care chicks as my bathroom is tiny and my indoor dog is not a chicken amigo.....however!!!! I can kick the donkey's out of their mini barn that is a couple of acres away from the entire flock. That would make a lovely brooder with a few adjustments to prevent other dogs getting in and I'd just have to keep food, my clothing, etc isolated to not become the pox carrier.

On a sad note it has now spread to my mama hen that I separated in the hope her little chicks would be OK. Lost one chick to a predator and saw another with the pox and only half of one eye open.... since they are in an open paddock of a couple of acres with open hut, catching the little one will be difficult until its weak, and mama was mad at me for trying tonight, but she is now desperate for food from me so was pacing at the gate waiting for me tonight, usually the food I bring is wasted and she stays clear of me. So, many of my new babies evidently will not grow or survive into healthy adults.

However, I'll try the donkey barn end Feb or beginning March.....awesome, it can fit 15-20 chicks for 2.5 months easily then I should be clear to mix them into pens near the main flock in May when the horrid mozzies are gone and they are good to go for winter.
wee.gif
glad you found a solution!

if your chicks are with broody they might have good health as they are not cold. just give them some boiled eggs 2-3 times per week till they get better. eggs are packed with vitamins and minerals. green vegetables as well.

I have a 3-4 week old chick that may have dry/wet fowl pox or cranker, i just need to confirm to get the correct medication. Here is a photo:

I have a 3-4 week old chick that may have dry/wet fowl pox or cranker, i just need to confirm to get the correct medication. Here is a photo:

How is the little chick? Did you look at the photos on this thread to see if it matches pox?
Is it just one chick or are your other birds showing signs? (I assume you have other chicks/chickens?)

How is the little chick? Did you look at the photos on this thread to see if it matches pox?
Is it just one chick or are your other birds showing signs? (I assume you have other chicks/chickens?)

I am not sure i am pretty new to my chickens having diseases, my flock is healthy and i seprated this chick.

Back
Top Bottom