Wet bulb readings

hollybell

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Hello , I am just about to lockdown but I having some problems with my humidty readings .I have a cheap digital thermometer and hygrometer which I have just put in the incubater. My thermometer which came with the incubater has been at a steady 100°F but the digital reads 35°C /95°F and 51% humidty so I have been adding trays...then I found a wet bulb hygrometer which I have just put in and this reads 90 !!! WHAT SHOULD THE WET BULB reading be as I think it is more reliable. THANKS

I do not know anything about it but hopefully someone who does will answer soon. Are you takeing your reading on the other from on top of the eggs , What kind of incubator are you useing?

it's a cip-cip 40..I live in Italy so it's italian! I found some info on the net http://www.shilala.com/incubating.html
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]How do I check humidity?[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Humidity is checked by way of a hygrometer (wet-bulb thermometer) in conjunction with a regular "dry-bulb" thermometer. A hygrometer is simply a thermometer with a piece of wick attached to the bulb. The wick hangs in water to keep the bulb wet (hence the name "wet-bulb thermometer"). When you read the temperature on the thermometer and hygrometer, you must then compare the readings to a chart to translate from wet-bulb/dry-bulb reading to "percentage humidity".[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]From the relative humidity table, you can see..... [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]60% humidity reads about 87 degrees on a wet-bulb at 99.5 degrees.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]60% humidity reads about 89 degrees on a wet-bulb at 101.5 degrees.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]80% humidity reads about 93 degrees on a wet-bulb at 99.5 degrees.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]80% humidity reads about 95 degrees on a wet-bulb at 101.5 degrees.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Getting your humidity to become as accurate as your temperature is nearly impossible. It is almost completely impossible with a small incubator. Try to get your humidity as close as you can, and you'll be fine. Just being aware that humidity is important, and trying to get the numbers to come in close will be a huge help to your hatch.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]If you can hold within 10-15% things should turn out fine. [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Temperature on the other hand, is CRITICAL!!!!! I hate to beat this point to death, but a small deviation in temperature (even a couple degrees) can and will ruin a hatch. Or, at least turn a potentially great hatch into a lousy one.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]So I'm going by this !! Fingers crossed ![/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Holly[/FONT]​

Back
Top Bottom