Wet butt/Gleet? only when in laying mode

Zierwa

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2023

Zierwa

Apr 3, 20235211
I adopted a stray chicken last year that was hanging out in my yard. We caught her when it got very cold out to save her and she had freezer burn on her crown. We brought her in last winter and built her an outdoor coop in the spring and got her a friend. She laid us many eggs all last winter, spring, summer, however PROBLEM. I have noticed since we got her that ONLY when she is in laying egg mode, she gets a white and clear drippy wet vent. I have bathed the vent every two days, put monastat, in vent, apple cider vinegar drinking water with the mother, bathed vent with apple cider vinegar chicken vent sprays for gleet vent, Greek yogurt heathy diet etc. It clears up only when she stops laying eggs. This summer she laid her last egg on July 20 th. She is a broader so I have to deal with trying to break her of that too. Broaded for over 30 days in July but I kept taking her out Of nest to break her of it. Her vent has been fine since July but I’ve noticed only when she stopped laying, but…she just started to lay again November 30 th. And guess what…she is dripping clear and has white wet butt again. Could this be hormonal meaning only when she lays eggs that she gets this? How can I get this fixed? Are her eggs safe to eat? Now that we have her outside in coop I worry about bringing her in to bathe her butt Only to take her out in the cold. She is a funny chicken, let’s me blow dry her etc. but I would like to find out why this happens. Her other companion does not get this problem when laying eggs. I am starting to think that nearby chicken owners dumped her due to this high maintenance issue. I have no clue of her age. She is a happy, controlling spoiled chicken. Can someone please help or give some insite on this? She is the brown hen pictured below.

Attachments

• IMG_9278.png
    IMG_9278.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
Perhaps you'll need to keep her on probiotics constantly. Wherever she was before, she might have been on a battery of antibiotics and wormers that upset her flora. The vinegar is good but giving that every day can decrease her potassium levels.

I would get some probiotics you can put in their water like Hydro Hen. I've seen a few products similar to that one.

There could be some other fungus infection there and I've seen others recommend a round of Acidified Copper Sulfate as well.

How is her poop other than the white stuff in it?
Are you sure she doesn't have lice, mites, or worms?

[/HEADING]
[HEADING=3]Zierwa

Apr 3, 20235211
I adopted a stray chicken last year that was hanging out in my yard. We caught her when it got very cold out to save her and she had freezer burn on her crown. We brought her in last winter and built her an outdoor coop in the spring and got her a friend. She laid us many eggs all last winter, spring, summer, however PROBLEM. I have noticed since we got her that ONLY when she is in laying egg mode, she gets a white and clear drippy wet vent. I have bathed the vent every two days, put monastat, in vent, apple cider vinegar drinking water with the mother, bathed vent with apple cider vinegar chicken vent sprays for gleet vent, Greek yogurt heathy diet etc. It clears up only when she stops laying eggs. This summer she laid her last egg on July 20 th. She is a broader so I have to deal with trying to break her of that too. Broaded for over 30 days in July but I kept taking her out Of nest to break her of it. Her vent has been fine since July but I’ve noticed only when she stopped laying, but…she just started to lay again November 30 th. And guess what…she is dripping clear and has white wet butt again. Could this be hormonal meaning only when she lays eggs that she gets this? How can I get this fixed? Are her eggs safe to eat? Now that we have her outside in coop I worry about bringing her in to bathe her butt Only to take her out in the cold. She is a funny chicken, let’s me blow dry her etc. but I would like to find out why this happens. Her other companion does not get this problem when laying eggs. I am starting to think that nearby chicken owners dumped her due to this high maintenance issue. I have no clue of her age. She is a happy, controlling spoiled chicken. Can someone please help or give some insite on this? She is the brown hen pictured below.
I have a 3 1/2 year old hen like that. We have also tried using various treatments such as Monistat, bathing, yogurt, Hydro hen, Acidified Copper Sulfate, treating for mites (didn't see any on her, but one other girl had them so everyone was treated), deworming... Nothing seems to work except molting and winter. Her poop looks normal, she just has a runny discharge in addition. She seems happy and healthy otherwise. None of our other chickens are affected by this 🤷‍♀️

Perhaps you'll need to keep her on probiotics constantly. Wherever she was before, she might have been on a battery of antibiotics and wormers that upset her flora. The vinegar is good but giving that every day can decrease her potassium levels.

I would get some probiotics you can put in their water like Hydro Hen. I've seen a few products similar to that one.

There could be some other fungus infection there and I've seen others recommend a round of Acidified Copper Sulfate as well.

I have given her probiotics in water daily too. I will try acidified copper sulfate. her poop is good, brown with white caps firm, her crop empty …meaning no bump in mornings. It’s almost like she has a leak when the coating that forms the shell is happening inside her. It’s that white, she lays white eggs and a leak in the clear stuff that coats the egg during laying. But that these two substances come out when ever…and she squats it out like she is pooping or sometimes when I pick her up she will push or leak it out…very strange. She does not have a prolapse. Anyway I Am confused. What does mites and lice look like and how do I find it in all those feather. I do spray them with protector and there area, but I’ve never seen any bugs on them unless they are too small to see.

Back
Top Bottom