Wet chicken food

Pjchicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 4, 2013
Nevada City, CA.
We had a unexpected rain yesterday and I had just filled my feeders so my chickens food got all wet. I replaced the food,but was not sure if chicken could eat wet food. Two of my chickens have died on me just want them to stay healthy.

Yes, chickens can eat wet food. In fact, when they're sick and off their feed, that's how you get them to eat it is by mixing it with water to make a mash. However, you can NOT feed them food that is in any way moldy or starting to get moldy. Mold starts growing before you can see it. They get very sick from this.

Feeders kept outside where they can get rained/snowed on is one of the points that leads to the debate on where best to keep their feeders: inside the coop or outside. It comes down to what works best for your set up, preferences and situation. For me, I keep food inside my coop and food outside but under a covered, always dry area of my barn. I keep water in those 2 same places as well. I would never be able to keep food outside not under cover because it would be constantly getting rained on and wasted.

Hope this helps,
Guppy

GuppyTJ is right. Making a wet mash should consist of just enough feed to be eaten in a half hour. I use a wet mash with buttermilk occasionally and wash out the troughs after they've finished it. A covered area to eat is a must during the rainy season. Some feeders have what is called a rain hat that sits on top of the feeder. Kuhl makes them. I don't see how that could keep the feed completely dry during gusty wind and rain though. I like hanging feeders with capped tops under an outside roofed area in my poultry yard.

I had never heard of rain hats until recently. However, I have been using something like it of my own creation. I keep my feed outside to encouarge the chickens to be outside and keep the bulk of the poop out there too. I use a 30 lb feeder that is suspended in the run. I took a standard round trash barrel lid and drilled a hole in the center large enough for the rope to fit through and hooked my feeder underneath it. The lid is large enough to shed rain and keep it out of the feed tray. This works well unless you have an absolute downpour or hard blowing rain. In that case the feed in the tray gets wet. I just make sure my chickens clean up all the wet feed that day. I have had no issues with this system otherwise.

Feeding chickens wet chicken feed is ok as long as it's not moldy. Ya'll should check out the thread "Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds". It's a great thread to learn how to keep your flock healthy ! Fermented feed is fed wet and has a lot if beneficial bacteria (probiotics) that is great for chickens !

About this -
We just hurried our pullets inside as it began to rain. Their food turned ever-so-slightly damp and now they're eating it! Will they be okay?

Back
Top Bottom