Wet chooks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ami, May 25, 2010.

1. ami

ami New Egg

May 25, 2010
    I'm just a bit concerned about my two chooks who REFUSE to use the enclosed, dry and warm coop to stay out of the rain (in fact, they seem to really dislike the coop in general. Not sure why yet...), preferring instead to huddle together under the ladder in the run. It does has a roof, but the rain today is quite heavy and they still look wet and miserable. Should i DO SOMETHING??!! Or just stop projecting my desire for them to be warm and cosy...? Please help!

2. Papadavid

Papadavid Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Does you coop have a roost in it? and have you penned them in the coop any time at all? Usually if you keep them penned in a couple of days, they will return at night or really bad weather. Good luck.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

My chickens stay out in the rain unless it's just absolutely pouring. Getting wet doesn't seem to bother them, not even when it's cold out.

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Yes, unless they do not have waterproof feathers (e.g silkies) they may not be bothered by water. My Brahmas with fully waterproof feathers are whimps and don't like a drop of rain on their feathers, though.
    Sandie

5. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are your chicks? If they are 10+ weeks, I think the rain is just fine for them. If they are young and don't quite know how to get back into the coop on their own, you might want to try to place them inside till they get the hang of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by