Wet feathers.....not drying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jamband, Nov 11, 2011.

1. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    One of my my muscovy males doesn't seem to dry off like the others. His feathers get all wet and he looks like a wet dog as opposed to the others who just have the water roll of basically??? He was injured by a 4 wheeled predator about 2 months ago but other than a slight limp is doing well. Any ideas what causes this ? can I do something? A little worried now with freezing nights.

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Could he have mites?

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I asked the same question last year when i noticed one of my duck hens with the same problem, she would get wet and stay wet, I was told that after she molted she would have her new wet proof feathers back and thats what happened, She was needing to molt and then her feathers were water proof again. Hopefully it will be the same with your drake. By years end they look worn and frazzled and she wasn't preening like she should, now they are going through this again.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You could (if he's okay with that) take a look at his preen gland. Sometimes they get infected or clogged up. I've read that massaging a little olive oil into it can help, if that's the issue.

5. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    You can check the gland as mentioned and also see if you can see any little moving things on his skin - I didn't know we had duck lice until we'd processed a couple of ducklings and found them when we plucked. They will really run a duck down though and damage feathers. When one of ours got them bad, she had a bare sore spot on her back. After treating her, she was fine.

Usually it means they are getting ready to molt and the feathers are getting ready to fall out. You'll know if his skin seems fine and feathers start sticking out at odd angles and then your ground will have early snow... that is dry and blows madly all over! [​IMG]

Do be sure that he has the opportunity to bathe, but that he doesn't waterlog. I had one girl that was molting waterlog twice, two days in a row and I had to help her out of the wading pool.

6. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    isn't it getting cold for me to leave them a pool? the pool freezes nightly.

7. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Nah ducks don't get to sensitive about the water temp! We keep our pools going all winter pain in the butt since we drain the hose everytime, but they stay clean and healthy so I don't mind!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by