Wet hen

Geckochick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 16, 2011
This morning, in the dim light, I noticed one of my hens looking as though she had an injury. Although I didn't see blood, I noticed a section of her back and leg that were matted and wet. I was in a rush, so I quickly segregated her in a crate in the coop, and asked DH to have a look before he went to work. I suspected it was maybe just poop or wet, but I wasn't sure, since it was very early and the light was dim.

DH went down and had a look, wiped her off a bit and determined that it was just poop. He wondered how she had pooped all over herself, and I said she probably roosted under someone (we have a ladder leading up to the roost and some girls will sit there sometimes). So, she is cleaned off, but now she is wet. And, although it is not freezing cold here, it is a cool damp morning. I just went down and fluffed her up a bit with a fleece, but she is still damp. I have kept her segregated, for now, worrying that they may peck at the wet spot (??? would they do that?).

What is best? Do I keep her segregated until she dries? Let her out and hope she fluffs up (although it is cool, the sun is coming out)? If I let her out she can sit closer to the light (we have a regular bulb, not a heatlamp on in the coop). Or should I actually bring her indoors where she can dry quickly and then get her back into the flock?

The things I never knew I would worry about in life... Seriously? What to do with my wet hen??

hu.gif

personally, I'd put her back with the rest of the flock. Chickens have an oil gland near the base of their tail. They use that oil to keep themselves dry and vitually waterproof. She will just preen and get herself all fluffy and dry in no time. My birds love to walk around in the rain and have never had a problem getting themselves dried off.

Thanks! We had an unfortunate pecking incident a few months back and I think I am a bit shy of it happening again... They're such mean girls to each other sometimes. I will let her out and see what happens. I thought she would be happier and more likely to fluff herself back up again if she is out and about.

I think that letting her move about would be better than keeping her in a small pen. If she is getting picked on, put the crate in the house or warm place until she is dry. I used a hair dryer to dry one of my hens who had to be soaked in warm water to get out a egg membrane that had dried inside of her. She didn't seem to mind, but that is a whole other story. Good luck!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom