Wet oyster shell-question

Nebraskagirl

Songster
7 Years
Jul 12, 2012
I put out free choice crushed oyster shell for my duck (I feed them all flock feed so supplement with oyster shell) but it has been rainy and snowy here in Nebraska. The oyster shell is wet. I stir it up, but just wondering if that is ok to put out wet. I don't know what much about oyster shell other than it is a good idea to give it to hens and duck to ensure good eggs shells. I do only give them DRY feed.
Help?

Last edited:
my ducks eat a lot of oyster shells .. rain you get rain ------must be nice
smile.png

I'm not sure what harm would come of it, as it's just crushed/broken shells but i know mine got mushy and made it hard almost clumpy so i put mind indoors to avoid this.

Last edited:
I check my oyster shell every day. When i think it looks too gross I just dump it out. The ducks don't seem to care either way.. wet/dry/ gross looking.

It doesnt smell bad but if it ever did stink i'd dump immediately where the ducks couldnt get to it.

I'm not sure what harm would come of it, as it's just crushed/broken shells but i know mine got mushy and made it hard almost clumpy so i put mind indoors to avoid this.
I put out free choice crushed oyster shell for my duck (I feed them all flock feed so supplement with oyster shell) but it has been rainy and snowy here in Nebraska. The oyster shell is wet. I stir it up, but just wondering if that is ok to put out wet. I don't know what much about oyster shell other than it is a good idea to give it to hens and duck to ensure good eggs shells. I do only give them DRY feed.
Help?
I try to give mine dry ones, not sure about the wet as I've been wondering that myself. I use the flakes and my girls seem to like pooping in it 🤦‍♀️... so I rinse them down and put them back out when the do. Hopefully that's fine, I haven't seen any negatives when I've given to them wet but it's not all the time I do it either.

Mine poop in theirs so I try to rinse them out. Not too bad if they're in the sun after, but when they do it later in the day... I don't like to toss them if I can help it cause they're pricey.

Back
Top Bottom