Wet poop

Pjchicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 4, 2013
Nevada City, CA.
Hello, I feed my chickens the Flock crumble,I also give them leftover fruits and vegies.
There poop seems a little wet should I be giving them a supplement ???

This looks fairly normal to me. It looks like poo from the ceacal. As the web site link shows, these are produced from the caecum of the chicken and are mustard to dark brown froth. They are expelled every 8 to 10 droppings. Try to compare the poo you're seeing to the poo in the pictures in that link above. If that link doesn't work (I was having trouble with it), try this one.

http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

It's great that you're paying attention to your chicken's poo. Poopology (! telling the health of chickens based on their poo !) is a great way to get an indication of what's going on inside your chickens so it's helpful to study these pictures a bit.

Hope this helps,
Guppy

What great information !!! I think that this is one of the best ways to tell if you may have a problem.
I posted a question on "wet poop" and it looks like the mold issue is what I need to be aware of.
I went out this morning and cleaned up any left over food that may have been dropped on the ground.
As I was doing this noticed the food they drop evert day... Is this a problem????
I do clean my coop and yard every 2-3 weeks.
Thanks again
Patti

Right, I saw your other post about your feeder outside getting wet. I think I replied to that one as well.

Regarding your chickens spilling food, what kind of feeder do you have? Is it inside or outside? If inside, see the below picture. This is my inside my coop feeder (the waterer isn't there any more, I changed this to a different one). I made the feeder as I try to do things on the cheap and one way to do this is to reuse what I have. The green bucket and white lid I already had. The metal bottom I bought for a few dollars at Tractor Supply. I assembled it, pretty easy to do, found the "plans" on the internet by googling "DIY chicken feeder." The blue thing above the feeder I "invented" myself. It's one of those recycle bins that I cut the corner out of. The blue thing is pyramid-shaped and keeps the chickens from roosting/climbing on top of the feeder and pooping in the feed. The whole thing is suspended off of a chain and the chain is attached to the roof. I have the chain set up with a bolt and nut through the links so I can continue to raise the feeder as the chickens grow. So, the feeder is always at chest height which means the chickens can't flick the food out very easily onto the ground. And the fact that they stick their heads into it means almost no waste and no mess and therefore, no mold.

My feeder outside, as I mentioned in your other post about moldy food, is under cover. It's just a pan with a brick in it to weigh it down so the chickens don't tip it over. I don't have much waste out there either because I don't leave much food in it. It's also a really dry spot of this covered area of the barn so it's hard for mold to grow on the small amount that does fall on the ground.

Guppy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom