Wet Silkies-how wet can they get?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicksngoats, Oct 26, 2009.

1. chicksngoats

chicksngoats Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    I've heard that silkies aren't waterproof. Mine are free ranging, but don't seem to be smart enough to take shelter under the trees now that it has started raining. They are just sitting in the middle of the yard, soaking wet. The rest of my flock hangs out under some of the larger trees where they don't get wet. Do I need to worry about the silkies getting too wet? Do they need to be fenced in an area where they can't get wet?

Sorry for the silly question! I was assuming they would be smart enough to take cover from the elements, but now I'm not so sure [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    My Silkies ARE waterproof. Didn't you get yours from one of the hatcheries that waterproof them? [​IMG]

Seriously, Silkies are just fine outdoors. Mine are usually outside in a thunderstorm after the other birds have retreated. I would make sure that any chicken has access to shelter. If they need to take cover, they will.

3. chicksngoats

chicksngoats Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    lol! I do have some waterproofer I could spray on them [​IMG]

I wanted to say that they are smart enough to get out of the rain, when need be, but then again, they are chickens [​IMG]

They look so ridiculous when they are soaking wet, it's hard not to feel sorry for them. haha...maybe that's part of their plan! They know if the look wet and cold, I will come out to pick them up and give them a special treat!

Thanks for the help!

4. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    I live in Oregon so you being in Washington is about the same. I have silkies and they are fine out in the rain. It's actually funny because i'll see the jumping up in the air to try and catch the rain drops!!! It's the cutest thing ever. As long as they have somewhere to go to get dry, I wouldn't worry

5. Porch Chickens

Porch Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2013
    I don't know about this-- everything I see on websites that breed Silkies says that they are completely vulnerable to wet and cold weather and must be kept warm and dry at all times. I live in San Diego, so thankfully it's not an issue often. We have rain this evening and I just dried my Silkie, Effie, with a fluffy microfiber cleaning cloth and put her in a little traveling cage inside the house for the night.
    I have had to blow-dry her a couple of times. That was fun-- she LOVED it.: )
    The other five girls of various breeds are able to shake it off, but we like to spoil our little fluff ball.: )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by