Whale Watching Trip!

ibpboo

Where Chickens Ride Horses
15 Years
Jul 9, 2007
always changing
It was a beautiful day on the Monterey Bay. We got to see a blue whale and humpback whales, along with a lot of other sea life.

Blue whale
BlueWhale.jpg

BlueWhale4.jpg

Pelican
Pelican1.jpg

Seals and birds
SealsOnRocks1.jpg

And, did you know that humpback whale air stinks when they blow out their hole?!!
gig.gif

Your pictures are fantastic!!! I've been whale watching a couple of times off of Cape Cod. So cool! I didn't notice the stink but I'm not surprised. I'd love to see a Blue Whale.
I hope you don't mind if I share a whale story on your thread?
A few years ago my in-laws were on a cruise in Alaska. This wasn't one of the usual Alaskan Cruises but through the Senior Citizens travel group they travel with they went on this Marine Biology sort of trip. Anyway, one morning MIL was in the shower and when she came up on deck afterwards she learned that there had been a whale sighted while she was below. She was very disappointed and while everyone else moved on she stayed behind feeling sorry for herself. The captain even walked over and was cheering her up saying they'd see more whales before the trip was over. As they stood there the whale came back, right alongside the ship and sprayed. Soaked them both through. After MIL got done laughing at herself she went and took her third shower of the morning!

That is a funny story henrietta!
gig.gif

It was hard taking pics with the boat (70 ft) rocking up and down, and you never know where the whales are going to pop up, and try and snap a pic in time, so I missed a lot of good shots, but they are forever in my mind!
The pic of the tail fin did not come out, and I missed taking a pic when the humpback's head came out.
The whales were in the bay. You can see how close to shore in the one pic. The guide lady said she hadn't seen a blue whale in a couple years, so it actually was a very exciting day.

Thanks for sharing the awesome pictures ibpboo! I am so jealous I would love to visit the other coast and see the seals and whales. Gotta love those squirrels....looks like
he is trying to hitch a ride.

Here's a little better blue whale pic with spray
BlueWhale1.jpg

And the whales leave blueprints on the top of the water when they surface, looks kind of like an oil slick. Interesting!

awww yay boo!!!! If we ever go back to Monterey to visit we will have to look you up! You're killin me with these pics lol

Aww take some more! LOL
big_smile.png

Quote:
how about a pic of the Moss Landing Power Plant from the ocean side of it1 This was a cool view of it! I'm going to have to start a thread with pics of the area!
MossLandingPowerPlant3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom