What’s easier to train to fly around the loft Homers or Rollers?

The choice is yours, but for me, homers are SUPERB to rollers! You can't beat a homer flying one hundred miles home. Rollers are boring to a degree.... It gets tiring to watch them in the same yard doing the same thing. Homers you can take them to a city, a lake, a friends house, a nursing home, schools, etc. I love my homers. The bird in my avy is a 2020 hatch in April. It is a pure white racing homer hen.
Leaning towards homers

The choice is yours, but for me, homers are SUPERB to rollers! You can't beat a homer flying one hundred miles home. Rollers are boring to a degree.... It gets tiring to watch them in the same yard doing the same thing. Homers you can take them to a city, a lake, a friends house, a nursing home, schools, etc. I love my homers. The bird in my avy is a 2020 hatch in April. It is a pure white racing homer hen.
boring? lets see a homer roll

I’ve got a lot of trees in my yard...so hawks will be an issue also

Bad for rollers. As the kit circles the yard preparing to hit the landing board, the hawks will attack from above. That's how they put me out of businessl

Or a good kit waterfalling in unison. I miss my birds daily.

Are homers typically larger in size than rollers ?
Yes. They are. Which does mean they eat more, but still, they are so worth it. For me, taking a bird 80 miles (the farthest mine have gone so far) and letting it loose, but knowing it will return home is priceless. And you can race them in clubs. On loft flys homers are easier to train then rollers. Mine all rush out if the coop and enjoy their flying time, cruising the wind, chasing each other, speeding to speeds of 40 MPH, etc. Rollers fly in circles, spin downwards, and repeat. not bashing rollers or rollers enthusiast, but they aren't for me. they simply are 'boring' compared to homers. :D

For all of those that don't believe homers can roll.... they can,,, but only once. :old
Only open spoiler if you have a sense of humor:idunno
1606242896644.png

For all of those that don't believe homers can roll.... they can,,, but only once. :old
Only open spoiler if you have a sense of humor:idunno
Believe it or not, a lot of them are roll downs to. Its interesting where the roll down gene came into homers. :idunno

For those that don't know: a rolling pigeon that rolls and hits the ground is called a roll down.

bp

I know you had some rollers before, and like you,,, my preference are homers.
I did read up some time ago, and my understanding, from what I read, is the reason why rollers roll. They don't want to knowingly entertain us,,, They somehow get dizzy and loose flight control. No one knows for sure but that is what some of the speculations were. (this is what I read :idunno )

badwhiskey

There are other pigeon breeds that will loft fly for you as well. Consider Archangels, which are also BEAUTIFUL, and Satinettes.
1606250545504.png

1606250565053.png

Back
Top Bottom