What’s going on with my hen???

Melissa2173

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2011
Springfield, Georgia
Not sure if this is the right group but I have a hen that hatched out some chicks a few weeks ago. Last weekend I sold a few and that left her with 2. The next day, she was leaving the chicks alone (they free range during the day) This went on all day so I stuck them in my brooder. Since then, she’s not been staying with her flock and she’s been going to roost at night in different coops that aren’t with her flock. Tonight I found her in the coop that has another hen and chicks. She is alone in the top part of the coop. What’s going on???

She's weaning them. How old are they? Mine usually do this when the chicks are about 4 weeks old. It's normal, and OK to leave the chicks with the flock. They're integrated right now. If you remove them until they're bigger, they'll have to start all over and without Mama there to protect them.

All of my chickens free range during the day. She has always been with a group of 5 other hens and a rooster. She kept to herself while out with the chicks which I expected but she is still keeping to herself and has no chicks now. I had to put the chicks in a brooder as it has been cold here and they are still too young to be without a heat source.

If this is confusing, I apologize. I’m not concerned with having to integrate the chicks. They are with a group that was not hatched by my hens. My concern is why is she not wanting to be with her flock.

She has been separated from them for approximately 6-7 weeks. She is now a stranger to them. Either they aren't accepting her, or she's just not comfortable joining them. She'll probably work her way back into a flock eventually.

Perhaps but they’ve all been around each other since the chicks were hatched. She was in a coop next to the others so they saw each other every day and were never completely separated. I had even seen the rooster trying to mate with her last week.

I had even seen the rooster trying to mate with her last week.
That means she getting ready to lay again.
I also have a broody with chicks 5 weeks old, she went back into lay yesterday, and has been distancing herself from the chicks for the last week or so. She still tidbits and warms them off and on thru the day and sleeps with them at night.
Why you girl is not keeping the chicks warm or joining the rest of the flock is a mystery.
Taking the chicks from here might be a mistake, hopefully you didn't react too soon because now you may have to integrate the chicks into the flock.

Back
Top Bottom