What’s the best way to deworm your chickens?

Mine is Flubenole 5%. I usually mix their feed or scratch mix with some germ oil and then add the weighed amount of dewormer while mixing well so everything gets coated with the powder. During the deworming period (in case of using Flubenole 5% it is7 consecutive days) the chickens only get medicated feed, no treats on the side.

But in case you live in the U.S. you might rather use some of the other dewormers like Safeguard, Valbazen or similar.

Last edited:
I have 20 hens. What’s the best way to go about administering the dewormer? And what is your go to dewormer?
Where are you located in the world?

If you are in the U.S. the most commonly used dewormers used are Fenbendazole (Safeguard) and Albendazole (Valbazen). Sadly, Flubenole is not available to us in the U.S.

Both Safeguard and Valbazen are dosed orally by weight. Dosing and administration is below.

To treat Roundworms Only - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days. This dose and timeline will treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworms.

To treat Tapeworms. Praziquantel is required. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-tapeworms-under-construction.1220309/

Back
Top Bottom