What’s the deal with you chicken people??

When I was a youngling I thought ducks were chickens! When someone ask me "What chickens do you have?" I said
" Waterproof Chicken. "
These chicken breeds are hard to remember too! My grandmother had ayam cemani chicken and I called it "Charcoal Chicken"
She had a lavender orpington I called it " Light gray chicken "
She had a real aggressive brahma rooster so I called it "Angry chicken."

Honestly, I would love to just see a regular name for a chicken, Like if we find another chicken I wanna call it after its color or feathers and that's it! The last thing I want to name a chicken is "Kwebbledippledop Cemani Extravangantion."
Agreed! And seconded!! I have a hat wearing, fuzzy pants with socks, yellow chicken.

Lol, welcome to the community, and good luck! 😂 Folks are real helpful here, dont be afraid to ask questions, or for help!

Lol, the chicken community also shocked me... especially the moment I discovered the discussions of color genetics with breeding. Lol, I never expected folks get this in depth with chickens.

Honestly, to me the only things that are important with breeds as a beginner are, how well do they lay? And what are their needs? Like, can it handle heat well, or better suited for cold? Basic things like that. Lol

Lol, welcome to the community, and good luck! 😂 Folks are real helpful here, dont be afraid to ask questions, or for help!

Lol, the chicken community also shocked me... especially the moment I discovered the discussions of color genetics with breeding. Lol, I never expected folks get this in depth with chickens.

Honestly, to me the only things that are important with breeds as a beginner are, how well do they lay? And what are their needs? Like, can it handle heat well, or better suited for cold? Basic things like that. Lol
Oh that’s another thing! The eggs!! Well this lays small eggs, big eggs, brown eggs, green eggs, pink eggs. Sigh all I want to know can I eat it??

Welcome, welcome. As said previously you are new and there is a lot of very interesting information to learn. I myself came here some years ago when we first raised chickens and left once we moved. You are in a good place as there is a lot of knowledge here and great folks to teach you. Just ask.

Oh that’s another thing! The eggs!! Well this lays small eggs, big eggs, brown eggs, green eggs, pink eggs. Sigh all I want to know can I eat it??
Lol, right! 😂

I just looked up "Best Egg Layers", looked at the list to see how many eggs laid a year, can it handle my extreme heat... great, now let's see if any of these names pop up at Tractor Supply. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom