What’s the oldest egg you’ve eaten from your flock?

I have never kept track of the age of my eggs. Didn't think it mattered. Never used the float test either. I thought it was way more trouble than it was worth. I just did what I saw my aunt do. When she was cooking with eggs, she put a small dish or cup on the counter. She broke all eggs into the cup before putting in the bowl or in the pan. If the egg didn't look right or if it smelled bad it went down the sink not into whatever she was cooking. My aunt did this with all eggs. It didn't matter if they were store bought or from her own chickens. She broke all of them into the cup.

What do people think a float test will prove other than the egg has an air cell? They gain that in two weeks on the counter and you can eat a month old egg stored on the counter.

Crack eggs into ice cube trays and freeze for long winters with no eggs. Once frozen they can be stored in freezer in zip lock bags.
Mine was to prove that you can eat eggs that float because I hear that people toss their eggs if they float.

I will say this when I first started keeping chickens I did hear the egg float thing a lot and believed it but then found out that was not the case.

I have my freezers full of other things like a whole cow 😂 and hubby doesn't care to take up room with frozen eggs 😂

The oldest egg I have eaten was 2 months old, refrigerated. The white was a bit runny, I definitely prefer eggs fresher but I knew the hens would not be laying much due to short days and molting so I had saved up 8 dozen and had enough to last until they laid again. I mark the date of the oldest egg in the carton, on the carton.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom