Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dog

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Opossum

• Coyotes

• Total voters
So I have been wondering for all people with the following amount of predators which is worse? Please do not ask me I am not in America
If you fill in your location in your profile page it may help people to make better sense of your posts.
The worst predator is the one that gets your chickens;)
I'm not in America either.

Don’t forget opossums and coyotes!

Honestly all are a pain in the butt in different ways. Some are night critters, so your birds are sleeping and don’t/can’t run away. Others are day time predators and swoop in to snatch your birds.

I let my girls out on Sunday after all the rain we’ve been getting I had kept them pinned. A couple minutes later I heard a screech! Not 1 but 3 chicken hawks were roaming the skies looking for lunch above my backyard.

I'd agree with the worst being whichever is trying to eat mine at the time.
Haven't dealt with weasels or mink yet but from what I've heard they would be pretty bad cause they like to kill multiples at a time and they can get where most other predators can't.
I've never had any trouble from eagles but all I've seen on my property where a few bald eagles.
Hawks can be bad but owls are worse. Owls give no warning. At least sometimes a hawk can be seen coming.
All three birds are a real threat cause you're not allowed to trap or kill them. Against the law to even harrass them.
Foxes are really good at getting away with a bird without getting seen. Foxes are sometimes effective at get past fences and dogs so that's pretty bad for birds.
Racoons and opossum aren't to successful here and really not that plentiful so IDK.
Coyotes are bad because they are way over populated here. Hince the lack of raccoons opossum etc. They come in day or night and aren't really afraid of people around either.
Dogs have taken the most birds from me probably but that's few and far between but when they do its usually a large number attack. I had one dog kill easily over 30 birds in minutes.
There was also a cat issue here at a time. Cats can whip out lots of chicks or juvies.
So ya they can all be bad in their own way.
It depends on your situation, set up, what predators are around, how often they're around, what or any defense you have, etc.

So I have been wondering for all people with the following amount of predators which is worse? Please do not ask me I am not in America
Question, as posed, will provide little if any useful information. Location and how birds are kept important. In some situations, even habitat is important.

I am so glad we dont have the predatores that you have in USA. We have foxes, snakes, some rats from time to time but nothing compared to what you have to contend with. You do a fantastic job it seems keeping them away. I always thought racoons were cute little things but not any more. Good luck to you all.
Australia has the top 10 or 20 deadliest animals that currently exist.

Back
Top Bottom