What’s wrong with her?!!!

Ellies5Ducks

Chirping
Oct 11, 2020
Kinda urgent. My duck seems to have a bulge on her butt which from what I’ve heard, may be water belly... but I’m not sure. I’m really worried and I don’t know what I’m gonna do cause I’m not aloud to take her to the vet. I’m scared to drain it incase it’s not what it is. She’s looked like this for a couple months and I decided to look it up finally to see what it was and now I’m worried... I feel awful right now. I attached some photos. She’s not egg bound (lays daily) and it feels squishy. I know it could be overweight but I don’t know. Is there tips for treatment. Overall she acts pretty normal, sometimes reluctant to walk cause she has to wobble around it... none of my other girls including her sister are like this. Patches, my drake has never mated with her but he’s VERY active, I’m not sure if that’s anything but I’ve never seen them mate so idk.

Attachments

• E7D48B1D-8333-45B5-8082-B872A67A1C56.jpeg
    E7D48B1D-8333-45B5-8082-B872A67A1C56.jpeg
    814.4 KB · Views: 19
  • CC46B95D-A602-4AFD-8F4B-E7F9FE20ADB6.jpeg
    CC46B95D-A602-4AFD-8F4B-E7F9FE20ADB6.jpeg
    688.2 KB · Views: 15
  • A48B072B-BE54-4CD8-9BFA-267AB6B166B3.png
    A48B072B-BE54-4CD8-9BFA-267AB6B166B3.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 16
How old is the duck?
What is their diet?

Ascites is due to liver, or cardiovascular failure that is causing fluid accumulation within the abdominal cavity of the bird. Most of the birds affected do not fair a good prognosis, and usually pass a few weeks/months later.

Egg yolk peritonitis can also cause abdominal distention, but I would not suspect your duck to still be laying on a daily basis with such a condition.

Over the internet, it is impossible to say whether this may be ascites or excess fat. To properly assess what this might be, you will have to do thorough palpation of the area; ascites is going to feel like a water balloon, where excess fat is going to make it feel like thick skin. There are a few other conditions such as fatty liver diease, and salpingitis that can cause some distention, but will be hard to diagnosis without radiographs.

Getting a second hand to help assess, and comparing the abdomen to other ducks in the flock is a great way to differentiate what is normal, and what is not.

How old is the duck?
What is their diet?

Ascites is due to liver, or cardiovascular failure that is causing fluid accumulation within the abdominal cavity of the bird. Most of the birds affected do not fair a good prognosis, and usually pass a few weeks/months later.

Egg yolk peritonitis can also cause abdominal distention, but I would not suspect your duck to still be laying on a daily basis with such a condition.

Over the internet, it is impossible to say whether this may be ascites or excess fat. To properly assess what this might be, you will have to do thorough palpation of the area; ascites is going to feel like a water balloon, where excess fat is going to make it feel like thick skin. There are a few other conditions such as fatty liver diease, and salpingitis that can cause some distention, but will be hard to diagnosis without radiographs.

Getting a second hand to help assess, and comparing the abdomen to other ducks in the flock is a great way to differentiate what is normal, and what is not.
She is 11 months.
And eats purina flock raiser pellets
It’s doesn’t feel like a water balloon, more squishy.

She is 11 months.
And eats purina flock raiser pellets
It’s doesn’t feel like a water balloon, more squishy.

Of course, I can't say with 100% accuracy, but I would feel from what you described that she doesn't have ascites. It is usually not seen when birds are the age you described, more so when they are geriatric. The distention is usually pretty well defined to the point it is not easily mistaken. If she appears to be acting well, I think I would leave her be and just monitor to see if the distention worsens, or her condtion.

Some amount of inflammation in that area is perfectly normal in laying ducks and it can vary. I'm really bad at feeling the inflammation and determining if it is reproductive or fluid buildup. But reproductive is more squishy and ascites is more tight like a full balloon.

Personally I would NOT attempt to drain a duck with suspected ascites myself. Even my vet uses ultrasound to guide them when they drain a bird, otherwise the procedure can be fatal.

My duck with ascites had diarrhea, all over her feathers below her vent. Her abdominal skin was very tight.

Back
Top Bottom