What’s wrong with my bantam baby?

Chickie_Momma_91

Chirping
Apr 29, 2021
This is little grey. She’s a bantam, I have no idea how old or breed/breeds.
She’s always had droopy? Wings. Like she doesn’t have the best muscle tension on the outer portion and she def doesn’t have a normal use of her wings. She does flap but she never has them tucked up next to her body, always hanging. She’s got perpetual pasty butt and she’s the only one. She eats, she drinks, her crop fills and empties, she’s active but hasn’t grown almost at all in a week and a half. BUT she cries all the time. She always want to snuggle her beak into her flock mates, she wants to snuggle under them like they’re her momma hen, and the only time she doesn’t cry is when she’s tucked up on my chest snuggled in.

Attachments

• 682CCED8-6CCB-4A0E-900B-BBFAFDBD66A8.jpeg
    682CCED8-6CCB-4A0E-900B-BBFAFDBD66A8.jpeg
    588.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 821E5CB5-B5E1-42AD-9282-FCCCB597D1DF.jpeg
    821E5CB5-B5E1-42AD-9282-FCCCB597D1DF.jpeg
    335.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 1E47D61C-2DE7-4AB4-9C99-51E415D50DC9.jpeg
    1E47D61C-2DE7-4AB4-9C99-51E415D50DC9.jpeg
    432.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DB0B23A1-4D7D-4BC4-9412-FD96BD3BF9D2.jpeg
    DB0B23A1-4D7D-4BC4-9412-FD96BD3BF9D2.jpeg
    301.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 2CBD4DD6-CF58-41CE-AD53-33F2303565B0.jpeg
    2CBD4DD6-CF58-41CE-AD53-33F2303565B0.jpeg
    306.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 45CDD396-43E3-4F4A-AE17-8F606C628306.jpeg
    45CDD396-43E3-4F4A-AE17-8F606C628306.jpeg
    343.2 KB · Views: 11
Just keep cleaning her pasty butt. You could swab some lubricant/anti-sticky solution on vent. Use a cotton swab soaked in baby oil, or even olive oil, if you don't have the first.

Is your brooder set up, so there are warm spots, and areas for chicks to retreat to that are cooler?? This way chicks can find their comfort zone themselves.

Consider boiling an egg and giving her the yolk. It is ideal nutrition, and may help chick jump-start the growth.

Another observation of picture, , since I'm not there to watch and compare to the other chicks,,,. Maybe she is a breed that is different from the others, and smaller now, and in full grown version. You did mention bantam, so it does explain some.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Just keep cleaning her pasty butt. You could swab some lubricant/anti-sticky solution on vent. Use a cotton swab soaked in baby oil, or even olive oil, if you don't have the first.

Is your brooder set up, so there are warm spots, and areas for chicks to retreat to that are cooler?? This way chicks can find their comfort zone themselves.

Consider boiling an egg and giving her the yolk. It is ideal nutrition, and may help chick jump-start the growth.

Another observation of picture, , since I'm not there to watch and compare to the other chicks,,,. Maybe she is a breed that is different from the others, and smaller now, and in full grown version. You did mention bantam, so it does explain some.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
She def has places to get away from the heat. And she will always be small, just strange how she hasn’t changed at all since bringing her home. Nothing. And the droopy wing thing. I’ll try egg yolk and see if she feels happier.

She didn’t make it. We made it 9 days but she passed. From her stature/body proportions I was told she might’ve had a dwarfism type genetic abnormality that caused failure to thrive. She was the only one like her in the bantam bin so might’ve been a full size breed that TSC got sent, saw was small, and put in the bantam bin. I’m also 99% sure she was blind.

She didn’t make it. We made it 9 days but she passed. From her stature/body proportions I was told she might’ve had a dwarfism type genetic abnormality that caused failure to thrive. She was the only one like her in the bantam bin so might’ve been a full size breed that TSC got sent, saw was small, and put in the bantam bin. I’m also 99% sure she was blind.
Awe!
Awe! At least you tried! How about the second one in your first picture?

Awe!

Awe! At least you tried! How about the second one in your first picture?
She did beautifully. I had to carry her around in my bra for 3 days after baby grey passed because she just cried and cried. I finally found her a friend that was same breed, same age, just different color. They were my babes, and then a racoon literally tore my coop apart and got them a week or so ago. All that was left was feathers. We caught the raccoon though and avenged Chip and Whitey (as my 8 year old put it) and we beefed up the coop. I know they’re just chickens, but I took the day off of work and me and the kiddo cuddled on the couch all day in mourning.

Back
Top Bottom