What’s wrong with my Rhode Island red

Oreo_The_BarredRock

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2021
My seven week old Rhode Island Red has one leg that goes farther out past her body and curves in at the joint. When she runs the leg bends inward almost like it can’t support her weight. Is there something wrong with her?
A863A2DA-2500-49E0-83F7-D94A191AC06C.jpeg

110C465E-2F4D-42B6-9C11-7C69318F85F9.jpeg

3E170CFB-4411-446B-A46D-5FF8DEC5582E.jpeg

When did you first notice the issue - has she always had it? If you search for "varus/valgus deformity" on BYC, you'll find threads about a condition that can cause leg problems that resemble your pullet's. Best wishes for your girl.
I’m not sure how long she’s had that problem, I noticed it when I took her out to the coop where she had a lot more room to run around. I looked it up and some of the pictures looked like what my chick has. Is there anything I need to do about it?

Have you felt along the joint to rule out a slipped tendon already? If the bone itself is curved, it may be VVD...if the problem appears to be at the joint, it may be perosis. The link above states that perosis/slipped tendon usually occurs prior to 6 weeks.

Tagging @Eggcessive for input, too. TIA!
It looks like it may be at the joint, but I’m not sure. How would I check for a slipped tendon? She had coccidiosis a few weeks ago that stunted her growth, so she’s still pretty small, but kind of fat which I read is one of the causes of VVD.

Back
Top Bottom