What’s your best Tips & Tricks on beating the heat?

Mckenzie1227

In the Brooder
May 30, 2020
What some of your tips and tricks on beating the heat? My babies are now 3 weeks old today. I’ve put them outside in the coop as a bigger brooder area. I’ve turned off the heat lamp. I have the windows on it open to let in some breeze. Do you have any other suggestions on ways to help cool them down? Thanks!

I freeze mine snacks.. like I throw in some fruits or veggies or clover or sunflower seeds.. stuff they like.. and freeze it and give it to them throughout the day.
I found a bigger tarp to cover the side of their run and placed it over it to give more shade

I stick a frozen water bottle in their water feeder

I’ve been freezing smaller ice cubes and throwing them in the area they like to huddle together during the day and nap

I also read you can freeze a gallon jug and place it near their fave spot to keep them cool

I’ve also read some people set up a fan to blow in the coop with a block of ice in front of it

Here in North Carolina it gets hot and humid and stays this way....90ish for days at a time and my girls are about 12-13 weeks old (Cream legbar ladies) and they have panted some. I keep small water bottles filled and Frozen.

When i refill their gravity waterers i put several bottles with caps removed UPSIDE DOWN in there. The water stays cold and as it melts it runs out.

Another trick i discovered is to put a small plastic bowl of ice water inside a clay pot, (they like a sprig of peppermint in it, we call it their peppermint tea) the clay holds the cool a little longer and they can't tip it over. Use a short squat pot. I push straw or shavings up around it in a shady spot for increased insulation. Seems to keep them sipping 😉

Here in North Carolina it gets hot and humid and stays this way....90ish for days at a time and my girls are about 12-13 weeks old (Cream legbar ladies) and they have panted some. I keep small water bottles filled and Frozen.

When i refill their gravity waterers i put several bottles with caps removed UPSIDE DOWN in there. The water stays cold and as it melts it runs out.

Another trick i discovered is to put a small plastic bowl of ice water inside a clay pot, (they like a sprig of peppermint in it, we call it their peppermint tea) the clay holds the cool a little longer and they can't tip it over. Use a short squat pot. I push straw or shavings up around it in a shady spot for increased insulation. Seems to keep them sipping 😉
I'm in nc too. Davie county. I've been doing the frozen water bottles, ice chunks, frozen treats and all that. Mine still pant and hold their wings out. I have them in a well shaded spot too. Their favorite thing I do that does seem to help is cold watermelon in the afternoons before the sun starts setting. We do this every day at the same time (roughly) and they love it

I'm in nc too. Davie county. I've been doing the frozen water bottles, ice chunks, frozen treats and all that. Mine still pant and hold their wings out. I have them in a well shaded spot too. Their favorite thing I do that does seem to help is cold watermelon in the afternoons before the sun starts setting. We do this every day at the same time (roughly) and they love it
Mine hate watermelon! In fact I gave them some rinds with melon left on them and they acted scared of it! They wouldn’t even get near it! Lol

Mine hate watermelon! In fact I gave them some rinds with melon left on them and they acted scared of it! They wouldn’t even get near it! Lol
Wow that's hilarious! Lol I feel like my 4 chickens and 2 ducks could demolish a whole bigger size watermelon in like 10 mins. They act like they've been starved every time I give it to them.

Back
Top Bottom