1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What a big clever chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ukchickengirl, Oct 4, 2007.

1. ukchickengirl

ukchickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

This is my lonely 8 day old chick being all big and brave in the garden for the 1st time! had to have it in a little run as the local cats were walking about!! (What is it?! white wing and start of tail feathers?!)

It now has a a friend in its brooder, wasnt really sure what to make of it though!

[​IMG]

H x

sorry about the messy brooder! replaced towels before new chick went in and they've messed it all up already!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    He's pretty! Are they Leghorns?

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well... if it is a common bird, I say it is either a leghorn, cornish X, or white rock. If it is skinny feeling and flighty it is a leghorn. If it feels like a big warm ball and loves to eat, it's a cornish X. If it acts like a normal chick, it's a white rock! It got some meaty legs there though. Wait see guessing game!

4. ukchickengirl

ukchickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

the smaller chick is def a cornish x but the larger one is from the mix and match so its quite exciting waiting and seeing! [​IMG]

its feels skinny and doesnt seem to get used to me putting my hand in the brooder so maybe that means a leghorn! [​IMG] just read that they are good layers, but no meat on them?!

H x

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  5. Rebel Chicken

Rebel Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2007
    southern Indiana
    They are both really cute!

6. SHELLY

SHELLY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    Southwest Missouri
    Adorable!! I'm so glad you got a friend for it. I was sad for it at first because I thought it was all alone.

7. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Your chicks are so cute! [​IMG]
    I just noticed your isa browns have the same names as my delawares-butter and honey.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by