What a day!!!!!!

KansasKid

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 7, 2010
South East Kansas
Well it all started when i got home and opened the gate to my domestic portion of my aviary and bribed my ducks out of the pond. Well they got out but not for long and stayed in the pond, so i gave up and put on my chest waders and herded them out of the pond. Well the wind was blowing at a pretty good clip out of the north today and as soon as the mallards were out my old hen, young hen, and young drake headed for the coast!! My drake lowered and lit in a field beside my house and the hens kept on going. SO i had to go take the waders off run into the field, find my drake hidden in the brush, try and herd him out, and finally dove and caught him. So i brought him back to the barn and clipped his wings because at the time i was furious. So i went and put the waders back on because everyone was back in it and the hens dive bombed back into the group out of nowhere. So i herded them back out and toward the pen when again the old hen took off. So i made it all the way to the opening of the aviary with them when the young hen and the old drake took off!!! So finally i rounded them up in there new pen and put the two hens and drake in there old since they would go there, put them in a catch pen, hauled them to the new pen, went and let my duck dog out since all was safe (so i thought) and went back to the aviary to water when i went in and the door shut behind me with a click. I looked back AND I WAS LOCKED IN!!!!!
I made the best of it and finished watering and was trying to figure out a way to get out when i here the bantam rooster squall and saw my lab running around. I had no idea what to do, then i looked over in the corner of the pen and saw that on that particular side the wire wasn't yet secured to the 2x4 so i got down and crawled up threw it bending the heck out of it, ran like no tomorrow and caught my dog by the tail and picked him up (yes picked the lab up) and put him in his pen. and then went around and made sure everyone was intact and luckily everyone was either hiding or in the barn rafters. So i had an eventful afternoon.

Yeah, sounds like fun. I've had days like that. I locked myself in the chicken house yesterday, and I'm still trying to catch my snowy malard that has a clipped wing, but still flies like a champ. My friend brought her dog over, and he got into the quail pen, and killed 7 quail, and took a chomp out of my golden pheasant. I picked up a 50 pound bag of food, and it had gotten slightly damp, and ripped open, and poared into my boots, and all over the garage floor....

Yeah, it was fun.

I recently had a day like that! My dad for some stupid reason gave me a 50 pound bag of feed to me (im only 13 and have no muscle) to put in the bed of the truck while he paid for it, well it was easy getting to the truck, but getting into the bed of the truck was another story. His truck has a 4 inch lift with really big tires and it was already origianally tall, so while putting it into the bed after opening the back, the heavy paper bag got caught on the corner and ripped. I sat there for 5 minutes trying to stop it from spilling more and i couldnt let go or set it down because it would all spill. Finally my dad comes out and sees what happens, he starts yelling and the store owner comes out because of all the commotion. After picking it all up and putting it in a box the store owner said just because I failed dosent mean i should give up and then he walked away. When we were in the truck my dad asked why i was so mad, i replied because he gave me a 50 pound bag that he knew I wouldnt be able to carry and that he embarrased me, he said he thought i grew a couple inches....
he.gif

Big Dreamer..Im sure you dad was just trying to let you feel responsible - not setting you up to fail. I used to go get hay for the horses with my mum. She used to let me drive down to the neighbours place from when I was 12 as she didnt like to drive towing the trailer..It also meant that I had to unlaod it all when we got home. It sure put some muscles on me fast to have to do that.

We can all have our days when nothing seems to go right..I recently had a weekend that included:

Broody leaves nest to play in the mud and rain for a day meaning I had to take the eggs and place them into the incubator.

Power failure at 12.30 am with 11 week old ducklings, 8 just hatched ducklings and 1 egg half hathced to try to keep warm for an hour and a half in the middle of the night.

Getting bogged at my block of land after some of the heaviest rainfull in years.

Having the drain back up after all the rain making my laundry tub overflow when doing a load of washing.

KansasKid - I would love to have seen the look on your face at the moment you heard the gate click shut - or trying to get out through the wire. Its times like that you are so glad no one is around with a camera.

What doesnt break us..only makes us stronger..... But I sure wish things wouldnt come all at once. Its so much easier to handle lifes little dilemas when they come more evenly spaced out.

Haha, yup. You guys would get a good kick out of it if you saw. I had took twigs from in the pen trying to lift the latch back up through the crack inbetween the door and frame. and the hight of the site barrier is just high enough that i had to hop which i was still stuck on the wire so i stumbled and ended up rolling off of it onto the ground, but i still shot right back up and ran to the barn and went over a 5ft 6 pipe fence in 2 steps.

i was worried about getting myself locked in mine as well, when i thought about designing my door, so i just went with those bolting locks and 1 hinged flat piece of metal that goes over a hook that you can put a padlock on.

The bolts have a slide in 2 spots, in the locked and unlocked position, so that whenever the bolts are turned down in either mode, it's impossible to move the bolt and get it to accidentally slide and lock into place behind you.

edit:

I think about 2 weeks ago, you or maybe someone else requested a pic of doors/locks/hinges, but i forgot where the thread was, so i never bothered to take a detailed pic and post it.
hide.gif

Last edited:
Mine wasn't quite as hectic as yours but... Last Monday we had a horrible storm.. to make a long story short we had alot of wind damage and falling trees, most on our fences. We kinda tacked our fence back up temporarily the other day but not before our min donkey went into the lot with my DHs pony DFs mule and my standardbred mare.. Not a big problem except he's been known to take down a good size horse by grabing them in the throat and cutting their wind off. Anyhows I decide today to put him back in his lot, but he didn't make that too easy for me after a few strolls around the acre or so lot he finally gives in and I get him moved.. I then decide to turn out a "rescue" mare in the lot with the others since I've moved him, Go to get her from the barn and she is out of her stall and having a feast on the wagon load of alfalfa hay lol..I bring her and turn her in.. the Standardbred mare and pony come but no mule.. Didn't think much of it, the new mare was getting along decent so I head back to the house.. I then notice the mule halfway across the divder fence between her lot and the Donkeys lot.. I can't tell if the donkey is tryin to kill her or pull her across the fence (he had her by the halter).. So I go run him off, and inspect the mess she got herself into.. She's got her back legs in the top holes of a woven wire fence.. I leave her to go find wire cutters that I never did find and come back and had to lift her legs one at a time and attempt to get them out which I Finally did. Needless to say she's still with the Donkey.. LOL

Back
Top Bottom