What a dogfight I just had -

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Oblio13, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Our recently adopted Great Dane and our old terrier went at it. Got them separated fairly quickly with no serious damage, but then tried to put the Dane on his back in a submissive posture. It looks so easy when the Dog Whisperer does it [​IMG]

My wife was hopping around saying "Don't let him win!" and I was saying "Feel free to jump in and help!"

Finally got him down and calm, but it sure didn't happen easy.

Here's a pic so you can imagine wrestling a dog with a head the size of a bear's.

[​IMG]

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Actually I can imagine it, I had to convince my 220 pound male Pyrenees, no he's not fat, that I was the boss. My antique Beagle tried to bite Mozart in the wrong place and Mozie Man took it wrong and was going to eat the Beagle.
    I feel for you, but at least I didn't have anyone trying to coach me lol!
    Kate

3. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Good Job. I once had to do that with my Irish Setter in the middle of the sidewalk when he got into a fight with a loose Jack Russell. The dog came at him and started it, once I got it away I had to get my dog to "come back" to me and focus. I'm sure everyone thought I was nuts, but it does the trick to get your point across. I don't think I could take a Dane down on my own though. [​IMG]

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    As interesting as the Dog Whisperer is...sometimes it sounds so foolish. I'm not saying you're foolish...but gosh, I wouldn't want to be the one trying to hold down a Dane in fight mode...and are you SURE it wasn't the terrier instigating? I keep thinking...Dane...fight?[​IMG] I only see them as couch potatoes haha.

Glad you got it broken up and that everyone is ok.

5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Between a Great Dane and a terrier? The instigator HAD to have been the terrier![​IMG]

6. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    The terrier for sure [​IMG] I hope it did not injure that poor Dane. [​IMG]

7. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    [​IMG]

8. ChickenFanaticAB

ChickenFanaticAB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    GA
    while it probably was the terrier...they all think they're danes anyway, haha, my neighbors dane absolutely hates my dog. She will tear into him whenever she gets the chance, and he's extremely submissive to other dogs(though no terrier, he's 75 lbs...) but i think that she would kill him if she had the chance...but when he was a little puppy she loved him! very strange...glad you got them apart and i hope they both learn to put up with each other!

9. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    You guys know your terriers. Ours hates the Dane so much that he tries to pee on him while he's asleep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by