What a good diet for old hens?

Peep-Chicken

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Michigan
I have just a few chickens left from my original flock. They are all 8 years old and there are 6 of them. They still look healthy and love to get free range time, except a few of them are feeling skinny to me. They never touch their layer pellets anymore, and have been loving getting into my chick food.

what is the best diet for my old ladies? I want them to be as healthy as possible.

Attachments

• 871C7E5C-F1CC-4B3C-987D-1215461243A9.jpeg
    871C7E5C-F1CC-4B3C-987D-1215461243A9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Your girls are gorgeous. 🥰

There will be too much calcium in the layer feed (smart girls for avoiding it) so you can feed them grower, or an 'all flock feed' if it's available to you. You can give that to your whole flock and just offer some oyster shell grit in a separate bowl for when any birds are laying and they'll supplement their calcium needs with that, and those that don't need it won't eat it.

I've fed my older hens the same feed your girls are eating. A Starter Grower feed 18% Protein with Oyster Shells in a separate container. I feed my chicks a Medicated Start and Grow feed 18%.
If you are feeding Medicated feed to your chicks and the active ingredient is Amprolium, it's safe to feed to your hens and eat their eggs.
I chose to continue with the Non-medicated feed this year for my hens, because it's way cheaper than the Medicated. So I have 2 open bags for my chicks and hens. GC

I have an old hen (around 13 years of age, give or take) and I could also use some dietary help!
She lives indoors all year long but goes on near daily walks with me. She also has a seat by the window to people/squirrel watch!
I usually make her meals by hand (other than her pellets). She feels a little underweight which I find odd due to her constant snacking. (typical chicken behavior and she does not have any parasites which makes it all the more odd) She’s on a high protein diet at the moment to help with the lack of pudge. She doesn’t really molt like normal chickens since she became an indoor hen. She does lose enough to cause a bald patch here and there but it’s never a normal “full molt”. It’s going to be a brutal winter here so I’m trying to help her plump up a tad before the first snowfall.

Any pellet brand or other food recommendations are deeply and greatly appreciated!!

Here is a list of what I use:
Grain free wet cat food, dandelion greens, shaved steak, fruits, veggies, basil, rosemary, mint, oregano, marjoram, bay leaves, salt, pepper, cilantro, onion, citrus, raspberry/blueberry/blackberry/strawberry, yogurt, garlic, cinnamon, spaghetti, hibiscus tea, eggs, eggshells, mealworms, ice cubes, honey, potatoes.
And possibly a few other items that I can’t remember at the moment. 😅

Attachments

• 1E381C3C-F0D6-4818-9C55-A34B7090D981.jpeg
    1E381C3C-F0D6-4818-9C55-A34B7090D981.jpeg
    953.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 9B46C7A3-65CC-4924-9EE1-39068D47D484.jpeg
    9B46C7A3-65CC-4924-9EE1-39068D47D484.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • 50CC51C9-7827-4A0C-9C8E-4277D582369B.jpeg
    50CC51C9-7827-4A0C-9C8E-4277D582369B.jpeg
    898 KB · Views: 3
I have an old hen (around 13 years of age, give or take) and I could also use some dietary help!
She lives indoors all year long but goes on near daily walks with me. She also has a seat by the window to people/squirrel watch!
I usually make her meals by hand (other than her pellets). She feels a little underweight which I find odd due to her constant snacking. (typical chicken behavior and she does not have any parasites which makes it all the more odd) She’s on a high protein diet at the moment to help with the lack of pudge. She doesn’t really molt like normal chickens since she became an indoor hen. She does lose enough to cause a bald patch here and there but it’s never a normal “full molt”. It’s going to be a brutal winter here so I’m trying to help her plump up a tad before the first snowfall.

Any pellet brand or other food recommendations are deeply and greatly appreciated!!

Here is a list of what I use:
Grain free wet cat food, dandelion greens, shaved steak, fruits, veggies, basil, rosemary, mint, oregano, marjoram, bay leaves, salt, pepper, cilantro, onion, citrus, raspberry/blueberry/blackberry/strawberry, yogurt, garlic, cinnamon, spaghetti, hibiscus tea, eggs, eggshells, mealworms, ice cubes, honey, potatoes.
And possibly a few other items that I can’t remember at the moment. 😅
She's a beautiful girl. I love her necklace. Has she always been an indoor chicken?

Back
Top Bottom