What a rollercoaster day - we lost our beautiful Bandit today

bobbieschicks

Chicken Tender
8 Years
Jun 24, 2011
King George, VA
My Coop
My Coop
I had to turn the lights on in the coop myself this a.m. because I had accidentally unplugged them yesterday. That caused a bit of a ruckus, but no one got hurt. Everyone was accounted for and Bandit was fine on the roost. I went back out later in the morning to feed table scraps to them - and Bandit was at the run gate and she appeared fine.

Later I watched a grey hawk land on the outside of the run and was glad I had decided to make it covered with welded wire and not free range the chicks without supervision. Went out to check that everyone was accounted for and I checked for Bandit and figured she was fine because she was under the coop sitting down like she does sometimes.

Then went to lunch at Red Robin's with my family to celebrate my daugther's win for best design at the AWANA pine car derby and an anonyomus stranger paid for our meal - that's 3 children & 2 adults worth of food! Not sure why - but I thanked the Lord for their generosity and His provision.

Later we returned home and I went to clean the coop and found my beautiful 22 week old EE Bandit dead
hit.gif
- no visible signs of trauma & no blood. She was in the same spot she was earlier when I checked on her. I figured she was just sitting still - but then I realized she was dead.

I'm so bummed
hit.gif
I will miss my green egg and mostly my dear sweet Bandit. Rest in peace my sweet one. Two losses since Christmas :( I'm starting to get a little discouraged about raising chickens.

Bandit at 1 week old

Bandit's first egg and a pic of her last week at 21 weeks old

hugs.gif

I am very sorry you lost her. I am sure you cared very much for her.
Sometimes these things happen for no apparent reason at all.
hugs.gif

I am so so sorry about your Bandit. All I can do is give you hugs...
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

But don't get discouraged. Many of us have been thru the same thing, losing several chickens in one year. We get stronger, and most of all, really love the ones that survive. Bandit will be looking down on the flock for eternity to come, taking care of the remaining flock and of course you. So sorry.

Back
Top Bottom