What a Rooster can do to a child

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 1320, Jul 19, 2011.

1. 1320

1320 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    I've had chickens for a long time and always tried to stick with "friendly" breeds because of two young boys. This rooster was considered a "pet", the most behaved Rooster we've ever had. I am thankful the Rooster went for his back instead of his face. Not seen in the photo are the deep scratches to his head. My son stands a little over 4 feet tall.

There was no need to punish the Rooster, he was doing his job, I failed at mine and yes, I'm paying the price. My son loves this particular Roo, and it was his decision not to rehome him.

I realize there are many chicken owners with children who have the question, to Roo or not to Roo and I post this photograph to help you make decisions and take precautions if you decide to Roo. I'm not arguing against Rooster ownership at all, we will own Roosters in the future however, this incident has completely reversed my management of them. It's going to be a pain in the butt to manage the flock in such a way that neither of my sons will be in harms way yet continue to reap the benefits of poultry ownership. My story represents the ugly side of poor management/parenthood. Please use this incident as a tool and not a platform for bashing. Go the extra mile to protect your children, it's a pain yes but we owe it to them and visitors as well.

For what it's worth, my son was back to feeding his hens about 20 minutes after the attack (the Rooster was isolated). He also had a long sleeve shirt and full face helmet on and Daddy was two steps behind.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Well that stinks. Good thing it was only a scratch and your son didn't let the experience ruin chickens for him. Did you see it happen? I wonder if the rooster wasn't trying to mount him. And whether to rooster or not to rooster wasn't a question for me but I have a hen who is pretty rough and way too inquisitive. It can happen to any of us. Anybody who would think you're an irresponsible parent has serious problems. Kids have been feeding chickens for as long as people have been keeping chickens. He just needs to show that rooster who's boss! [​IMG]

3. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    That rooster would already be in the freezer in my house. They're are so many nice roosters out there, why keep a mean one.

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Pet or not I do not tolerate aggressive roosters at my place. I have young children too and roosters are too easy to come by to put up with one that may hurt them.

The last one that jumped one of my kids I dispatched on the spot. I think the older hens tell all the new boys about it because it's been some years since I had a rooster cross one of my kids.

5. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you for taking responsibility and realizing the rooster is just being a rooster. As humans, WE need to change our approach if the first one isn't working, but the animal isn't going to stop being an animal. They can learn as well, we just need to change OUR approach to the lesson.

And thank you for raising your children with understanding and compassion. The rooster incident is just one more way your children can learn to be excellent, loving people.

Glad to hear your home is open and accepting of roosters. [​IMG]

6. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    I am sorry this happened to your son, but I wouldn't stand by a mean rooster.

I had my own post a few months back...which our rooster is no longer with us due to the attack. My daughter was just palying in the sandbox with her brother and the rooster attacked. He drew blood abover both her knees with his spurs and he got her on her arms. It happened just after her 2nd birthday.

I tried to catch the rooster and he flogged me. That is when I went in the house and got the .22 There are plenty nice roosters in this world, why keep the mean ones? We have a strict free range policy, so I need my chickens to be nice. I will not cage them up, because to me that is no life.

7. tri-5-ron

tri-5-ron Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Orange County
    I am certainly not trying to bash or flame at all,... but I have a question.

If that rooster HAD attacked your boys front side,... and he had lost an eye,.... would you still consider it just poor management on your part ?

and also,... what if it happens again,... and the bird DOES take out one of your son's eyes ?
    Will it then be an "oops, oh well,... I should have done something about that when I had the first indication he was aggressive ?" or, "Dang it,... I told that boy to stay away from that Roo,.... he should've known better ".

I am not exaggerating or trying in-flame the scenario at all,
    and I am not calling you a bad parent,... these are your own words -" My story represents the ugly side of poor management/parenthood."

Sorry, but I have to agree with A.T.Hagan on this one.
    Click-bang-thud, and I'd know for sure that this particular roo won't be blinding my boy.

As there are many emotions that are often associated with this type of thread, here is one good example.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=375016&p=1
    I posted only twice on that thread,
    On pages 2 and 4.
    I think that although it does show the vastly differing opinions here, about aggressive roo's,... I do think it is a worthwhile read.

8. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    A.T. Hagan :

Pet or not I do not tolerate aggressive roosters at my place. I have young children too and roosters are too easy to come by to put up with one that may hurt them.

The last one that jumped one of my kids I dispatched on the spot. I think the older hens tell all the new boys about it because it's been some years since I had a rooster cross one of my kids.

[​IMG]

9. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    I have yet to have any of my hens go after my kiddos, and we do not have roosters. But I will say I had a foster dog go after my son for no reason. I was right there and he got my arm before he got to my son. Sadly they are animals, and you can say its just natures instinct in them, but as a mother its my number 1 priority to protect my child. Im an animal lover (major), but I would have to agree. If the rooster attacked unprovoked he would NOT be getting a second chance to repeat the action at my home. But thats just MHO!! Glad your son took it in stride!

10. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for posting and I personally appreciate your attitude and the character shown by your son. There are many dimensions of this issue and valid viewpoints. I grew up around farm animals in a different kind of world, less policed by parents, and learned some important lessons on my own. But we kids were also educated on animals from a young age and knew not to make assumptions no matter the history of the individual animal. Some days they are "off," they may be startled by an unexpected behavior, etc. Important to understand what any animal is capable of. I believe Martha Stewart was bitten severely by a beloved dog when she touched it as it was sleeping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by