What a start to the day!

Rte.66_chicks

Songster
Feb 22, 2008
Kingman, AZ
My 15+ year old Boston Terrier, Dexter, had what seemed like a panic attack this morning. Everything had gone as usual; I got up, let him out, fed the cats, let him back in, fed him, and continued with my normal morning routine. He was watching me fix my breakfast when it hit. This normally very quiet dog started howling and barking, when I tried to get to him to pet him & settle him down, he seemed to not recognize me and ran into the bedroom and under the bed, which he never does. His continued barking and howling of course woke DH, and together we tried to coax him out. He would have nothing to do with us, even for his favorite treats. I was finally able to pull him out, and we sat holding him for quite a while. His heart was really pounding, he was panting, and just looked absolutely terrified. I put him in his crate, but he started howling and barking again, DH held him while I called in to get a sub for the day.
After a few more minutes, I put him back in his crate, and he seemed to settle down just a bit, at least enough that he stopped barking. Since this day off was not planned, I had to go to school to get an alternate lesson ready for the sub. When I returned home, he recognized me, so I leashed him up and took him for a walk. He seemed to have recovered from whatever happened, and is acting perfectly normal now. We have an appt. with the vet, though, to see if she can shed any light on what happened.

Yesterday we returned another Boston Terrier, Hank, to the rescue that we had adopted him from a couple of years ago. He had become an egg eater, so we decided that he would be better off with someone who doesn't have chickens. I don't know how that may play into the panic attack, if it does at all. Dexter was too old to play much, and sometimes Hank would get too exuberant and hurt Dexter. Frankly, they didn't seem all that close, but they never fought or were even antagonistic toward each other, even over the dishes we put down for them to lick.

After our vet visit, I will post what we find out.

Thanks for listening.

I hope Dexter is OK.

I have a 15 yo cat that is acting afraid in the evenings. Vet can't find anything. I'm thinking sundowners.

Good Luck

Imp

Could he possibly had a seizure that you did not see/recognize? Often after the first one, the animal is confused and disoriented and unable to recognize anyone. My very first GSD had grand mal seizures for the last few years of her life. I will never forget that first one tho because she ran into my room and hid under the bed, where she urinated and defecated. She did not seem to know any of us and barked at us, snapped at us, and threatened to bite. She seemed terrified and it took hours for this to pass. After she'd had several of them, they did not seem to terrify her anymore, so when she'd come out of it, she'd ask to go outside, and then act like nothing had happened. But that first one was a doozy. Daily Phenobarb controlled them for several years.

Good luck with this!

Rusty

Thanks! I hadn't thought of a seizure, but it makes sense. He didn't urinate or defecate, but he sure was frightened. We'll see the vet in a couple of hours.

If it keeps happening and strange things start to happen around the house call animal planet and say your house is haunted and the dog is detecting it.

Animals are indeed much more sensitive to the paranormal than are humans. I would think that this is not that though. Seizure or possible light heart attack???? Could be either one visit to the vet definately in order. My best guess would be seizure. Good luck, let us know how the little guy is ok?

Seizure! My Italian Greyhound used to have them, sometimes he would be sleeping and then just jump up and start yowling and he would not recognize us at all.

Vet thinks its age-related, probably neurological. Blood and urine are being tested. He has been perfectly normal since then, but may need to be on some type of meds for the rest of his life, depending on what the tests find or rule out.

hugs.gif
I hope the vet can tell you what happened. I would think seizure. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom