What a terrible hatch 🥺 Please help analyze

We can't tell when your eggs died.

Did you open up the dead ones?
I wasn’t looking for an exact time of death, just a general idea from the development that can be seen from the images I posted.

I opened 8. The were all 90% yolk with a small embryo attached to the small end of the egg. Three hatched, and two are the images I attached to this post.

The incubator I have has them and I haven’t had issues with hatching before with those instruments. I have since read that these can be unreliable, so I had ordered something to fix that last week.
Perfect. I recommend buying at least two thermometers. That way you can have both in the incubator and look at one glance to see what the temperature is in at least two locations at the same time.

Four would be better.

I turn and dry hatch until day 18 then candle before lock down. (I live in dry desert area and still dry hatch. 34/36 one of my recent hatches.)
I don't care if it is day 18, if they don't look like this I don't put them in lock down.
IMG_2747.JPG

This egg only has aircell showing with a slope, the rest of the egg is dark.

Below is an egg that is not ready for lockdown...the egg below may be day 18 but is not ready for lockdown. It may still hatch but a day or so later. Also candle the pointy end.

IMG_2862.JPG

If light shines in the point after day 16, but really after day 18 it would not be ready to lockdown. The egg needs to dry up.

Perfect. I recommend buying at least two thermometers. That way you can have both in the incubator and look at one glance to see what the temperature is in at least two locations at the same time.

Four would be better.
I don’t think I have room in my incubator for four thermometers. It was recommended that I try
Govee WiFi Thermometer Hygrometer, so after a very good disinfecting I will give that a go.

I turn and dry hatch until day 18 then candle before lock down. (I live in dry desert area and still dry hatch. 34/36 one of my recent hatches.)
I don't care if it is day 18, if they don't look like this I don't put them in lock down.
View attachment 3363660
This egg only has aircell showing with a slope, the rest of the egg is dark.

Below is an egg that is not ready for lockdown...the egg below may be day 18 but is not ready for lockdown. It may still hatch but a day or so later. Also candle the pointy end.

View attachment 3363664

If light shines in the point after day 16, but really after day 18 it would not be ready to lockdown. The egg needs to dry up.
Ok, I definitely recognize your first photo. I am also in the dry desert climate, but have never tried dry hatching. I’ve been reading a lot about it, I think I’m interested.
So, is what you’re saying that if they all don’t look like that on day 18, then none go into lockdown until they all do? If not, then do you have two incubators, one for the ones that are ready for lockdown, and the ones that aren’t yet? I’m just curious how you should handle if they aren’t all developed to that degree on day 18, but you have only one incubator. Thank you so much for your reply!

Back
Top Bottom