What a week I had...!

dwegg

Songster
11 Years
Nov 10, 2009
Grant Park, Atlanta, GA
Well it started off great with me hatching ten fluffy butts for the very first time Christmas Eve and all are beautiful. Then my three baby Cochins 6 months old started to lay their first eggs on Christmas day. All was good except one of the little splash girls had trouble with her first egg and had prolapse and after a trip to the vet and many baths ect didn't make it!
44332_breakfast2.jpg

Then I came home to Belle (Dominique) who was not well... Egg bound? I guessed? Just coming out of her first molt and looked great. But again having trouble with her first egg after the molt?.... I brought her inside this morning and bathed her for about 25 mins in warm bath, then while I was blow drying her she seemed to have a heart attack? Or something
44332_028.jpg

I can't believe I lost two beautiful girls this weekend from egg-laying troubles?... What am I doing wrong?

Dwegg, sorry to hear about your losses and troubles. I bet you're feeling the pain of loss. I suck at condolences, but I think try to think of it as Mother Nature's way. Not sure what you could have done to make things better, but maybe some other BYC experts can give you advice on that.

Hope your babies all grow up well, and no more egg troubles for you.

Thanks Sheila...it does suck what happened but at least they're not in pain any more and the babies make it a little easier. They are about to move into the basement into their new double condo...I think you are the one who showed me the idea to use the double dog crate. I have done exactly that. The lamps are on down there to warm itnup before I move them down. I know they are going to like their new digs. Tons of room and a jungle gym!

Very sorry to hear about your birds.

Hadn't known about warm baths for an egg bound bird, is that considered standard procedure? I'm up in the NE where the wind blows cold, I would imagine you'd have to be very careful about completely drying a bird out before putting it back outside with the others.

Haven't had a problem to date with any of our hens but I'm always on the lookout.

Wendy

Back
Top Bottom