What about this cross?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bigredfeather, Dec 2, 2010.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    This is strictly for discussion purposes: What do you think would be the results of a CX - Freedom Ranger cross. Anybody ever tried it?

2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    I'm thinking that it may be too hard to keep breeders in good quality. It takes extremely strict feed to get them to be somewhat productive.

Sorry about not getting back to that PM..... How did it go? Normally when I'm by myself I will just rinse my hands off and move on. So that's it for the year right? Still staying busy here just different type of work.

3. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Quote:Never tried it. But it sounds like a good idea if possible. Where you thinking freedon ranger roo over cornish x hen? We've (my parents and sister and I) tried both red slow grower broiler and the CX. It seems as if a cross woulod be perfect.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If you can get your Cornish X on a strict enough diet that they'll reach maturity and give you fertile eggs, then yeah, I'd say it would be an interesting project. I've seen people succesfully cross their broilers before, but honestly I think it would be cheaper, easier, and a healthier alternative to go with true Indian Games/purebred Cornish. The show quality ones out there are some MEATY birds, and don't require such a limited lifestyle.

5. Jared77

Jared77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Howell, MI
    Id be more curious to hear how the FRs and the CX are doing as "breeding stock". Egg size, and rate of lay, and fertility rates are all things that to me all factor into breeding.

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    it depends on what your goal is.

7. kooltex

kooltex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    My "Red Broilers" which look strikingly similar to FR's lay pretty darn well. I;m crossing them with some white rocks, and well, I've seen my show quality bantam cornish roos breeding them as well. LOL. I've actually got eggs in the bator as we speak. Should be interesting! I'm just in it for fun. I may get some broilers to tinker with, if they make it past freezer time [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by