what actually is grits?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chick_magnet, Jun 2, 2010.

1. chick_magnet

chick_magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    I heard that grits is basically dirk and sand. Is that true? I was going to go buy some grits from a feed store, but a friend of mine that owns chicken some a bit now is tell me that grits are sand and dirk is that true. if not then what is grits. i didn't think raising chicks would be so confusing [​IMG]

2. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    Grits are a delicious southern dish made from corn;)

3. pharr389

pharr389 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    southeast georgia
    Quote:true [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Grits is a human food

Grit, as in granite grit, is for chickens to help them grind the food in the gizzard. If you free range and they have access to rocky soil or granite rock, you don't need to buy any. If they are inside, and do not have access, it is a good thing to have on hand.

5. Echos_dad

Echos_dad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Elbert County, Colorado
    Grits is ground up hominy. Grit is pebbles and sand that birds use in their gizzard to grind up their food since they don't have molars! [​IMG]

6. JennB

JennB Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    nashport, ohio
    i have a large chuck of sod and dirt in with my chicks, i ahve been debating on buying grit. they spend lots of time pecking at the dirt, and i also go to the yard and pick up all kinds of bugs. do i need grit?

7. PriceFamilyFarms

PriceFamilyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    Quote:I would say it wouldn't hurt to add 1lb of chick grit to 20lbs. of starter feed. My birds all free range so I don't give it to them.

8. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:Or a gravel road. [​IMG] I keep grit for them so they'll leave it alone... They need their grit so they'll keep [​IMG] for fire ants.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Silly people! Grits - Girl Raised In The South [​IMG]
    My chickens have been finding their own grit since they were about 3 weeks old.

10. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Do you actually mix it in with the food or put it at the side for them to eat it freely?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by