1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What affects yolk size?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gophert, Oct 7, 2011.

1. gophert

gophert Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    I have now compared my chickens' eggs to storebought eggs and to free-range backyard eggs from other people and notice that our eggs have consistently larger yolks despite the eggs themselves being in some cases smaller than those I am comparing to. Why would this be? Is it a breed thing? Nutrition? Random?

2. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Thanks for posting this, because I am curious myself. This morning I cracked an egg from our Cuckoo Maran who has been laying for about three weeks. The egg is probably a medium/large size but the yolk was HUGE!!! I must admit, it made the most beautiful scrambled egg because the color was so intense. But I had the same thought...what causes this?

3. mo chicken lady

mo chicken lady New Egg

May 23, 2012
    Can anyone answer this question about what affects yolk size?

4. hen madame

hen madame Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2013
    Madison, WI
    I know this is an old thread, but I have the same question. Can anyone tell me what effects yolk size. My hens seem to be laying eggs with larger yolks this year in comparison to last. Someone with knowledge, please let me know!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by