What age are they fully grown

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ParadiseChickens, Jun 29, 2011.

1. ParadiseChickens

ParadiseChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    I have 4 RIR's and 4 RSL's that are about 4 months old. They are a good size with very small combs and I guess they will be laying sometime by the end of July. Will they be fully grown when they lay their first egg or do they continue to grow after that?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The beginning of laying pretty much marks the end of their growth, but their bodies will still mature some, fill out, and get more matronly in appearance. At 18 weeks, don't be surprised to see little proto type eggs. [​IMG]

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    It depends on the breed also. RSLs mature quickly. In sharp contrast, a Brahma doesn't reach its full size until well past 1 year.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    The breeds you have will be pretty much full grown when they start laying and will fill out a little more after they start laying. The eggs will be small but will get larger as they continue to lay.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Agreed, it depends on the breed. My LF brahmas kept growing and growing.... Thor (my dark brahma roo) didn't finish growing and filling out till he was well past a year old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by