What Age Can Chickens Free Range?

A good rule of thumb to follow is they can free-range once they can fly high enough to get away from ground predators and are large enough that a hawk won't take them.
That's the advice I used when letting my hen take her chicks into the "big fenced back-yard" (about 1/4 acre with grass, trees, flower-beds, etc...) They are about 10-12 weeks old. My hen is also hyper-vigilant, and extremely aggressive when she perceives a "threat" to her brood. My poor Aussie/Heeler believes this is his "flock" and tries to help her, but she often times shoos him off. lol

We have 8 hens that have been in a coop and small 10 x 12 fenced in area since heat lamp. Guess it is time to let them go. They will be running around a woods and walking paths.

We have 8 hens that have been in a coop and small 10 x 12 fenced in area since heat lamp. Guess it is time to let them go. They will be running around a woods and walking paths.
As long as they can do it safely, then by all means let them enjoy the great-outdoors!

Back
Top Bottom