what age can you give a duckling away

vlapinta

Songster
9 Years
Mar 1, 2010
Toms River NJ
We had call ducks hatch on Friday and my daughter promised her friend one. I just wanted to make sure its OK to give it to her at this age.

Vicki

That doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
hmm.png

Technically you can give them away after they are dired off after hatching. You may want to make sure they have the righ facilities for the animal first.

Just one? Does her friend have other ducklings to merge the little one in with? Because ducks are flock animals and raising one little bugger all by its lonesome is cruel. Once you separate it from the rest of the ducklings it will peep its little head off, crying out for its hatch-mates until it's exhausted.
sad.png

As long as the friend knows how to care for the duckling, you can give it away at any time. Hatcheries pack chicks and ducklings in boxes the day they hatch and send them off through the mail! However, I agree with Kooshie that it just doesn't sound like a good idea.
hmm.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I agree. Plus, if she has never had ducks, you may want to educate her first on the needs of ducks in general and of ducklings in particular. I'd recommend giving her two together, because like someone said, it will peep like mad if it's alone after having been with hatch mates this long. I've retained one extra from a hatch for exactly that reason myself...didn't want my "keeper" to be alone and face the other ducks by itself without a buddy when it is old enough to integrate with the older ducklings.

Did you think this not a good idea because they need to be together with other ducks? If that is the case then she can have two. I should have said this is not a young child. She is 17 and resposible, and her the parents have Ok'd it . Her father has had ducks before. I would never just give an animal to a stranger that I do not know and not know is responsible. Sometimes things don't read the way they are meant to. I wasn't asking an opinion about giving the duck away, but rather if it was Ok because of the age of the duck. I should have been clearer.
I thank you though because after I reread it I would have thought the same thing. I would never want to harm any animal.
Vicki

2 ducks would be better then one, 17 is not really a kid. My 13 year old today asked if his friend could buy a chick umm no what would a 13 year old want a chicken for( we do get the kids from the block visiting all the time to see our chickens and rabbits but to sell one of them...)

Quote:
This is not really constructive, how are people suppose to learn if they don't ask??

My 9 year old is excellent with our babies and as long as this child, which come to find out isn't really a child at all, has her parent's permission, you can give them to her as soon as they are dried off. The hatcheries throw them in boxes and put them in the mail at just hours old. I would strongly reccommend that she gets two of them as they need a buddy. Also make sure she understand the needs of ducklings as far as heat, feed and etc. What an wonderful opportunity to get another person involved in ducks!

Last edited:
Quote:
Sounds like the kid will be a good plan then!
big_smile.png
Yep, I'd encourage them having two, so the ducks can bond to her without being completely wigged out by being alone.

Back
Top Bottom