What age do chickens start laying at?

first lay is more variable than breed and when hatched; for example I have two of the same breed, same hatch week, and one started laying 6 weeks ago, the other has still to start!

My first Flock; 5 Golden Comets hatched 3/29/16, started to lay at 16 1/2 weeks. All were laying at 19 weeks.
My second Flock; 7 Barred Rocks hatched 8/15/18 started to lay at 20 weeks and all were laying at 23 weeks.
The Comets were bought from a local farm and feed and the Rocks were bought from TSC. GC
ETA; I do add light at 5 am year round.

Last edited:
What things do you look for?
I look for an increase in size of the comb and wattles, as well as a deepening of the color from pink to red. She will also start squatting when you are around her. Generally, she will lay her first egg within two weeks of her first squat. I also see a final small molt of feathers a couple of weeks before lay along with a rapid increase in her body size...kind of like how a teenager fills out to an adult body. Does that make sense?

I look for an increase in size of the comb and wattles, as well as a deepening of the color from pink to red. She will also start squatting when you are around her. Generally, she will lay her first egg within two weeks of her first squat. I also see a final small molt of feathers a couple of weeks before lay along with a rapid increase in her body size...kind of like how a teenager fills out to an adult body. Does that make sense?
Yes thanks. I did notice a lot of feathers laying around that I’ve never noticed before. Mine are 18 weeks old. I’ve also noticed the wattles, comb, and ear lobes becoming noticeably more red. No squatting that I’ve noticed yet they still just run up to me for a treat or attention. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom