1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What age do Ducks start to lay?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by GlacierNan, Jun 7, 2008.

1. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:We're talking about a runner - so I doubt she would brood them in the first place - but with my luck you never know. Plus where we are it is cold and windy in the winter and my barn door stays open 24/7 for my donkeys, so again - brooding ducklings in the winter - nah! Egg patrol will be in full swing.

2. joanna

joanna Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2007
    OK, maybe a little off topic...but, of my 4 ducks, 3 are drakes. they will be 17 weeks old this week so i'm expecting to start finding an egg or two a week soon.

my real question is obviously a ratio of 3:1 is not good, but what is ideal? I know that with chickens it is WAY better to have like a 7-8:1 hens:roosters, but what about ducks?

I do not want the boys picking on my girl all day long. if it matters...my girl is a pekin and my boys are rouens (2) and a cayuga.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Those 3 males will mate her until she is in shreds. You want 3 - 4 females to 1 male. Unless you plan to get some females that are mating size you need to keep the males away from her. 4 males can be viscious - not only will they gang style her all the time but they will fight each other over her as they mature. Sorry but it is the ugly truth.

1 person likes this.
  4. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    Do ducks make any sort of "annoucement" that they've laid an egg, like chicken hens do??

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I haven't noticed mine making any special noise. They lay around five in the morning, and I hear no more than their typical chatter, with the occasional, "Hey lady!!!! Get up!!! Let us out!!!"

1 person likes this.
  6. secretquail

secretquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Do they lay throughout the winter? I have 18 in the bator, but I am only familiar with quail. My quail stop laying when they don't get 12-14 hours of sunlight/day.

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Sunlight is the key for ducks too, but some breeds go longer through the winter before stopping. I have Welsh Harlequins now, but I have also had khaki's, runners and a buff. They all took off December and January, but start laying again in February. You can give them supplemental light if you want, but I think they earn some time off [​IMG]

We're talking about a runner - so I doubt she would brood them in the first place - but with my luck you never know.

LOL. I thought the same thing. Chrissy set me straight! [​IMG]
    http://bluefeatherfarm.blogspot.com/2010/05/successful-hatch.html

8. Krissy7

Krissy7 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    I was wondering when my Khaki Campbell will start laying every sight says a different thing

9. Oddyse

Oddyse Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Bristol
    Krissy7, I have the same question so I thought I would bump this up to the top for you/us [​IMG]

10. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    Quote:When you see these small oval things in their pen you should have your answer. Each strain is different. Our Buff Ducks from Ideal poultry started laying at about 5 months old. The Metzer Buff Ducks started at about 6 months old. It variers by breed, variety and strain on all poultry, not just ducks.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by