What age do Ducks start to lay?

Quote:
We're talking about a runner - so I doubt she would brood them in the first place - but with my luck you never know. Plus where we are it is cold and windy in the winter and my barn door stays open 24/7 for my donkeys, so again - brooding ducklings in the winter - nah! Egg patrol will be in full swing.

OK, maybe a little off topic...but, of my 4 ducks, 3 are drakes. they will be 17 weeks old this week so i'm expecting to start finding an egg or two a week soon.

my real question is obviously a ratio of 3:1 is not good, but what is ideal? I know that with chickens it is WAY better to have like a 7-8:1 hens:roosters, but what about ducks?

I do not want the boys picking on my girl all day long. if it matters...my girl is a pekin and my boys are rouens (2) and a cayuga.

Those 3 males will mate her until she is in shreds. You want 3 - 4 females to 1 male. Unless you plan to get some females that are mating size you need to keep the males away from her. 4 males can be viscious - not only will they gang style her all the time but they will fight each other over her as they mature. Sorry but it is the ugly truth.

I haven't noticed mine making any special noise. They lay around five in the morning, and I hear no more than their typical chatter, with the occasional, "Hey lady!!!! Get up!!! Let us out!!!"

Do they lay throughout the winter? I have 18 in the bator, but I am only familiar with quail. My quail stop laying when they don't get 12-14 hours of sunlight/day.

Sunlight is the key for ducks too, but some breeds go longer through the winter before stopping. I have Welsh Harlequins now, but I have also had khaki's, runners and a buff. They all took off December and January, but start laying again in February. You can give them supplemental light if you want, but I think they earn some time off
big_smile.png

We're talking about a runner - so I doubt she would brood them in the first place - but with my luck you never know.

LOL. I thought the same thing. Chrissy set me straight!
gig.gif

http://bluefeatherfarm.blogspot.com/2010/05/successful-hatch.html

I was wondering when my Khaki Campbell will start laying every sight says a different thing

Quote:
When you see these small oval things in their pen you should have your answer. Each strain is different. Our Buff Ducks from Ideal poultry started laying at about 5 months old. The Metzer Buff Ducks started at about 6 months old. It variers by breed, variety and strain on all poultry, not just ducks.

Back
Top Bottom